close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crappie Rods

Discussion in 'Panfish Discussions' started by On the Fly, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Has anyone used these long ultra light rods called "crappie rods?" They look like the action would be great, but I wonder if setting the hook would be a problem because they appear to be so limp. I see them in Dicks and other stores, but have never seen one out on the water.

2. I am not sure if it is the same thing that you have seen or not, but I use the B'n'M Sam Heaton Super-Sensitive Rods (10' and 11' I believe). I use them for jigging versus casting but they are great in my opinion. When they say "super sensitive" it is no lie. I can feel a fish simply sucking in a bait. I have not had an issue on the hook set but what I had to adjust to was reeling the fish in too far due to rod length when in a small boat. You have to leave enough line out to be able to raise the rod, keep the fish in the water (or else they can come off more easily) and still reach the fish. It is definitely worth buying one in my opinion.

3. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

There's a small learning curve to using them. Once you get the hang of them, your arsenal won't be complete without them. Find the length you're most comfortable with and go from there. I started with ten and went as long as fourteen. Settled on twelve as most comfy for my style of fishing. Fourteen was just too much for me.

crappiedude likes this.
  4. crappie have such a soft mouth any rod will set the hook, they almost set the hook themselves. I use a 6'6" eagle claw featherlight rod for crappie and usually just lift the rod and it sets the hook.
    sherman

5. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I have a bunch from 8' to 14' these are a must have for me when targeting carppie

chaunc, crappiedude and sherman51 like this.
  6. Thanks for the replies. If I buy one I would like to use it for all panfish, not just for crappies. I can see how the length would help for jigging. I don't remember seeing these rods 5 years ago. I'm going to take one off the rack and see how it feels. At one time I used Shorter Ultra lights , but have come to prefer longer lighter rods. This may be a good investment because it would probably be used 50 percent of the time I fish.

7. ress

ress

Aren't they better for casting 1/16 size lures? I had been using a 5' Ugly Stick and a buddy says to get a 12' Crappie rod and I'll be shocked how far that tiny lure will fly.