close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crappie question??

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by rockbass, Sep 30, 2004.

1. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I was wondering about the fall crappie bite. Has anyone caught any?? I know with the high water, the fish are maybe a little trickier now. I am planning on going to CLendening today for prob bass or whatever, but I also thought about trying for some crappie. I am not too savvy when it comes to any certain species, but I figured I would try to find some brush and hope they are in there!

2. I am not in your area but I can tell you that we have been catching a few the last few weeks where I go. However, they are still coming from deeper water. We seem to be getting them suspended over much deeper water (15-25). So if you give it a try and do not find them on the brush you may try working your way out over deeper water. Sometimes the suspended fish are hard to locate but if you find them they can be caught. We were catching all of ours on small tube jigs but even caught a few on larger 4" tube jigs targeting bass.

3. Reguardless of where you are in the State of Ohio as the water cools Crappie will have the urge to fatten up before winter.
    Taking note that they are light sensitive in sun lite days you'll find them just deep enough to protect their eyes, but as the sun goes down ot just before sunrise you can find them near shore.
    Try casting jigs of different colors depending on the clearness of the water.
    Such as on Lake Erie the water is clear and I cast a 2 inch blue/white with sparkle jig on a nickle 1/16oz jig head. I count down a slow 3 count and keeping the rod tip up start winding in the jig and they will find you !
    Vertical jigging around brush is also a good way to find crappies esp. as the water cools more and a long pole just allowing the jig to fall slowly through the brush is deadly.
    On Erie I'm still casting for Slabs at sundown and fish many times till 10 or 11 p.m. mostly around areas that have been lite up by lights positioned near the water such as dock lights and such.
    As the boats start to come out of the water for the season verticle fish jigs around the docks and they do move into that area as the water continues to cool. As the water gets into the 50's I will downsize jig offerings to 1/32 oz or even 1/48 oz and that also is productive.
    Till the ice forms Crappies will try to feed as much as possible, so looking in structured areas should be rewarding for you.
    Hope this helps,
    Jim G

4. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Thanks for all the great info JimG! I am going to fish for bass too, but most times I go out, I also hit a few spots with the ultralight using a small jig and twister. I was reading the article in the latest Infisherman about fall crappie bite and was wanting to try for some! I will test it out!

5. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

i fished clendening yesterday and made a coment to mrtwister_jbo that i was surprised that we didn't catch any crappies. caught every thing else. don't know why because we threw some twistertails around some brush. good luck and let us know if you catch any.