close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crappie night

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by mastercatman, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Caught 35 crappies last night. Can't say exactly where the fish were caught cause I like the privacy for my friends and I. All fish were caught in public water just south of akron. Here are some tips though to help find your own crappie oasis! Look for SHALLOW backwater areas with a muck bottom where Ice is thin or nonexistent. Fish in 3-6 foot of water where the mouth of the backwater is most necked down. Fish 2-3 foot deep using live medium minnows. Fish after dark only! You are wasting time and patience fishing during daylight! If ice is safe you may fish there but you could also make your own open water as my friends and I did with a 15" rim and a castnet. Check out my pics if I can get them to load up! All crappies were from 9 - 12 1/2" long. What a night for this time of year!

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Hmmmm.
    Guess 1: You caught them off the bridge on the SE end of Nimisila next to Eddie's baitshop
    Guess 2: Your shallow water/backwater, muck bottom/thin ice comments leads me to believe that you caught them in the canal/Tusc River off Erie Street near Kepler Rd./Leaver St. parking area.

Am I close?

3. Can't say I'm sworn to secrecy. No hard feelings though I hope my tips could help you find another good area.

4. Your post is excellent and helpfull. Enough information to help others locate fish in areas similar to what you describe but not ruining what you have worked to find by having too many people decend on it. Nice going and hope your bite hangs on for a while. :)
    My guess is Long.

5. Lots of bridges over water South of Akron... I may have to go exploring with my crappie stuff!!

6. ohh boy... crappies!!!

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Oh boy, cold water crappies. They taste the best!

No hard feelings at all mastercatman. Again, I love trying to guess where people's spots are. Not that I am going to try them. I have my own.
    It's good to know that they are in and that shallow and good size to boot.
    I'll give it a few more weeks till open water to try for the crappies at West Branch.

Were they in open water or tight to the brush?

8. Any shore access points for us landlubbers hitting WB that hold crappie?
    I don't have the time to scout around anymore like I use to :(
    I have been out with my cuzn there but man all he can think about is muskie LOL..
    He don't eat fish so telling him about a pan full of slabs will do me no good LOL

9. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Sure there are. I'll send you a PM when I finally clean out my PM mailbox. I've reached the 100 limit.

Or you can call me. I'm in now. 216-447-5309.

10. GAWD get your phone number out of this post :eek:

11. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Ah heck. Most people on here are responsible adults.

For those who aren't, I have caller ID that will identify even those whose numbers are blocked!
    Call me. We'll chew the fat about WB. I'm going through fishing DT's right now.

12. Can't call right now I am waiting on a call from the Dr's about scheduling an MRI... Need to get that done ASAP...

13. Your post made me smile on your catches and I thought I'd share one thing I do. In the winter I'd walk along the marinas around the lake and one day I noticed certain boathouses had bubblers going to keep ice from building up around the boat wells.
    The idea came and I looked up one owner who had a bubbler and asked this crazy idea, if I could hang christmas trees around the inside of his boat wells after he closes everything up for the winter ? He thought I was nuts , but agreed when I told him I'd hang the trees in the water and remove them before he started to prepare his boat house for spring.
    The jaycee's around town collected christmas trees and every year I have them drop off five trees in my driveway and as a thank you, I give them some Mc Donalds gift coupons to get something eat while collecting. I keep the trees in the back yard till fall and most of the needles fall off and just the branches are left. In Oct/November I hang the trees upside down from the boat well and use just a small weight to keep the tip of the tree towards the bottom.

Around the first full moon in February, I pick up an old fishing buddy and head to the boat house. He uses a walker now and I'm able to get him out of the wind and place him in a comfortable chair along side a portable heater.

Well, the crappies are there and once a small pin minnow nears the trees the float is gone. To see this old timers face light up is worth it all and we catch enough for a meal then do catch & release the rest of the time.

To seal our return each year I wait till the hot of summer and stop into the boat house to visit the owner with a small keg of beer for him to tap with friends along with some frozen crappies.

The crappies have been there every year waiting and now I'm able to still get my old timer friend out all these years to allow him to wet his line and his pants when a big one takes his offering.

The boat house owner now even fishes at times with us and even helps placing and removing the trees.

The nice part is, the used trees are taken outside Sandusky to a farmer friends and I have been placing them along a fence row for years and now it's home to rabbits and pheasants which has made the farmer happy.

So my reason for this is to use your mind an maybe build your own spot.
    There's two inches on my waistline that those boat house crappies help support.

Good fishing,
    JimG

14. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Wow JimG, that is awesome! Great story. Must be really nice to get a friend out. Especially one that is limited on where he can go. that is great that you could find another man nice enough to let you do this with his area. :) Most people I have come across are grumps when it comes to their docks. :(

15. That MUST have been you I saw. :D :D

Your secret is safe with me, although I may go crappie fishing this weekend. LOL

16. It is the manchester rd bridge over the ohio canal!!!!!!

17. Well I headed out to the ole' crappie hole again last night. I didn't stay long, that wind and snow was pretty stiff. Only caught a few small crappies. I am learning more and more about the barometer and fish feeding activity and I'm willing to share what I've learned to help all of you. First, when pressure is between 29.90 and 30.05 fishing is best and odds of catching bigger fish is increased! The fishing can be tremendous when the pressure is on a steady rise within that range. Fishing is good when it is on the fall within that range. If the pressure is high and rising or low and falling you will catch primarily smaller fish if any at all. Also remember that high pressure will drive fish to shallower water but not neccessarily to feed always. If you know what to do and how to change presentations accordingly you will catch at least some fish. This pressure information is good for crappies this time of year and it does change according to season. I hope this information is helpful if you decipher it properly. Good fishing and in case anyone bumps into me at my crappie hole my name is cameron. Those who know me know where im catching my crappies.

18. I HOPE WE GET SOME RAIN TO THAW THE LAKES. NOT ALOT MAYBE A COUPLE IN. WITH THE WEATHER PATTERNS THE LAST COUPLE YEARS ITS HARD TO TELL WHAT SPRING WILL BRING. IVE BEEN ASKING MYSELF THE SAME ??? WERES WB GOING TO THAW FIRST! ONLY THING IS THEY WONT BE THERE LONG :cool: IF WE GET RAIN SOON WELL BE SET! :D :rolleyes: IF WE DONT THEN I GUESS ITS BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD! :(

19. Crappie?l White or black? It don't matter! I'm going to try Salt Fork andBurrOak before it gets toowarm. Let you all know how we do.