close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crappie Live Bait suggestions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fleagle, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Crappie Live bait
    As new or experienced crappie fisherman we are always looking for new information that can help us be better crappie fisherman. I am always trying to make a decision whether to use live bait or artificial bait when fishing for crappie. Well the answer everyone should tell them selves to be effective you are going to use both. In fact, on many fishing trips both artificial and live baits are on the same crappie rigs. This is the best of both techniques. My article is going to concentrate on what crappie live baits are best for different situations.

Crappie minnows you will get a lot of controversy here so I am going to tell you what crappie minnows work best for me, but I will also identify other types because every fishing location is different when it comes to crappie live bait.

The “shiner minnow” is my favorite minnow to use, the smaller the better. Use 1 ½” length or smaller minnows. Many crappie anglers would argue that bigger is better, but the truth is I like to catch fish and I am not interested in only fishing for the large slabs. If you were in the large slab categories of fisherman then I would say bigger the minnow bigger the crappie (but much less on the crappie bite) I just love to catch fish. Know the reason I like the shiners whether using small or large minnows is they reflect light like small mirror in the water. Crappies are easily attracted to changes in light patterns and these little babies will do if for you. Many times, they are attracted more to the light changes then the bait it’s self. I also do a little doctoring to live bait and artificial baits for crappies. Another good minnow to use is commonly called the “Missouri minnow”.

Chop an onion into very small pieces and put them in a small container, (something like a little pill bottle) tip the end of your hook with a small piece of onion after you hook your minnow thru both the lower and upper lip. You will be surprised how this helps you out attracting the crappie to your bait. Not to get off the subject if you are using jigs put them in the small container with the onions and shake it up, then use your jigs.

These are the best crappie live bait Worms that I have used. I am not much for using worms to catch crappie, but one worm I have had good luck using has been “what is commonly called an “angle worm” You know those little critters that crawl all over your sidewalk when it rains.

One of the most disgusting but most effective live baits for crappie is the “maggot” Don’t let your wife tell you about the following little tip she might throw you out of the house!) Catch your self a mudfish or carp and cut out a large piece from behind his head. Burry the carcass an inch under the ground. 7 days later dig him up. (Know here’s the disgusting part pick the maggots off the carcass and place them in a glass jar. And some white cornmeal into the jar. Now place the jar in the freezer for three weeks. (Don’t let your wife know what’s in it or it will be gone! Just kidding.) After three weeks take the maggots out of the freezer the maggots will be huge! Fish the maggots using a #4 gold hook with no bobber. Let the bait fall to the bottom slowly and wait for the fun! It won’t take long. Maggots are one of the best crappie live baits I have ever used but I don’t use them much because of obvious reasons.

Well I have talked long enough! I hope these crappie live bait tips have helped, put them in your crappie fishing arsenal for your next fishing trip. Have fun and good fishing! And GOOD Luck!

2. Do you put the piece that you cut out of the fish in the jar?? Did you mean to say refrigerator vs. freezer?

3. hmmm, I'll have to give the onion idea a try. I've got some roadrunners, and small minnows (fake) to tip the jig with. maybe I'll add the piece of onion on the end if the bite is slow.

I have to think about the maggot idea - I think the wife would thow everything away if she saw them in the fridge.

4. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

done use live bait.

use crappie nibbles. :) :) :)

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

And that there were 3 of the 12 starving old timers crappie secrets. You can get all 12 starving old timer's secrets for the low price of $197.
    But act now cause he can only guarantee that low price through Sunday.;)

6. I am interested in trying the onion. Maggots in the refrigerator..... Not only would the wife get rid of them, she might get rid of me.... Hey, maybe you are on to something..........

7. Shaun Frame

Shaun Frame Hoover Speck Remover

I thought you were just kidding Lewzer. How stupid of me.

Over the past few months, I've noticed the Fleagster posting all over the net offering "top crappie tips", "facts" and what appeared to be well intentioned advice with no other agenda besides trying to help someone. Most of those "tips" that were even remotely useful were nothing new or revolutionary, and the few that were purported to be new and revolutionary were not even remotely useful.
    For example:
    (okay, if you say so....but how come red line is "invisible" underwater (tip# 16 ) but "red color" hooks are not?

Or
    (I don't think we are allowed to even SAY "Buck Jigger" anymore, are we?)

Other than being a bit puzzled as to why someone would go to the trouble of writing a post rehashing tired old fishing mag pabulum that everyone already knew, I didn't pay any attention to it. It just looked like another self-appointed e-lebrity that likes to see his (or her) name in lights.

Then I crunched up Brother Fleagles website. My life was changed.

Wow....catch crappie or die....simple yet profound....

That sucked me in like an onion laced, red hooked shiner minny, on a big throbbing buck jigger pole dropped in a honey hole full of starving old school slabs.

I dug deeper.

Secret societies of zen master crappie geezers (Ethiopicly starved no less), "The Dozen Old School Crappie legends" complete with profiles like:

(crappie espionage????)

and
    (lighting a fuse?)

And on and on and on. The scope and sheer volume is amazing.

testimonials?
    [​IMG]
    Satch Molesbee, Lumberton, Mississippi
    (one crappie per minute avg? all day long? daily possession limit?....poor Mom is spinning in her grave like a beetle-spin)

From mission statement
    (But of course)

to the end of the product line (my favorite is "Bobber with a brain") the whole thing is like an overwhelming religious experience and makes me want to send money somewhere. I'm not sure why, but I want to. By Sunday.

At first I thought this whole thing was just clever tongue-in-cheek satire right out of The National lampoon, but it soon become apparent that this was something else…something greater......and it's all true too. Every word gospel, right Fleag?

Hell, speaking of gospel, given the cult-like secret society stuff, I think you need to diversify and get this show on the road so you can truly deliver the "WORD" to the pointy headed unwashed masses.

A few Army surplus tents, an old school bus or two, and "Brother Fleagle's Rolling Thunder Crappie Review" would be ready to go live.

Healing a few believers in the audience by reaching out with the "big buck jigger pole of the 12 crappie Apostles" and boinking them on the head while saying: CRAPPIE DEVILS BE GONE!! would fill those collection plates up faster than you can say “so effective it’s been banned in 10 states”.

Why limit yourself; the angling world needs men like you and the "Secret Society".

Many are called,......few are chosen

TESTIFY Brother Fleagle!...TESTIFY!

May your Karma come back to you in spades. I truly mean that.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  8. shaun that is probably the greatest thing that I have ever read on OGF.
    We can go fishing together anytime. As long as you pay for the gas and the Onions.

9. cantsleep

cantsleep 3rd shift blues

Shaun Frame
    That was ... awesome!

(I still might try the onion thing);)

10. Man I tried to "crawl inside the mind" of that website and I just lost my "lazer focus"

goodnight crazy world!

11. Shaun Frame

Roger that Big Josh.

Gas will not be a problem for me much longer. I just ordered one of those little known "gasomizer" devices. The goverment and the "Big Three" automakers conspired to asassinate the inventor many years ago, but just recently his son found the drawings and had just a few made before he too was almost killed and fled to Zimbabwe.
    I can't believe how lucky I was to get one of the last ones left for only $400.

It plugs into your ciggarette lighter, and increases horsepower by 50%, and is guaranteed to get over 195 miles per gallon "or your money back"

I can't wait.

Also Josh, onions are never a problem. I keep lots on hand just in case my wife sees tears running down my cheeks after I open my credit card bills. If that happens, I just tell her I've been chopping them up for minnow "doctoring"

Sometimes it's painful to stay on the cutting edge of the latest new secret stuff, you know it? Flexing the truth just a bit now and then shouldn't get me judged too harshly when it comes time to cash in those Karma chips in that big honey hole in the sky, will it?

12. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

I have one thing to say.....

BWAAAAHHHAAAAAHAAAAHAAAHHHAAAHHAAAA!

*Everything else that could be said was tidily wrapped up by Mr. Frame in such words I can only describe as "poetic".

13. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

wow shaun you outdid yourself this time.

that has to be the funniest line i've ever read

14. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Just quoting the Fleaster's website.:p

Great post Mr. Frame!

I like your last line.

I do believe you truly meant that!!!!

15. Shaun Frame

16. Shaun Frame

Jokes aside, Be honest Fleag; have you ever actualy sold one of your "crappie secret courses" for $297 (or $197 for that matter).

17. I got my self a jar of maggots, but I forgot to put them in the refridgerator. Found them a couple days later and a bunch of flies had already eaten them....I'm not sure how they got through the lid;)

Damny

18. Wow!!! I have missed those types of posts. Glad to see your computor is working again, I have been waiting for a post from you about JH getting married. I saw her pictures she looks like a real women, which suprises me a bit I thought if he were to ever get coupled up he would have had to find Bigfoot.

19. I don't think we are allowed to even SAY "Buck Jigger pole" anymore, are we?)

20. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

shaun i owe you an apology, when i read you first post i thought what a jerk, why would someone attack someone who was just trying to help others catch fish??? BUT, then i clicked on the link to the oldfishinghole:mad: and saw who the real jerk is:eek:

feagle, i'll retract my last statement if you give me one of those $197.00 crappie fishing packages....... for free:p