Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to learn as much as possible regarding summer crappie fishing and patterns this year. I find that crappie fishing (especially summer crappie fishing) is some of the most difficult fishing as this fish is "elusive" to say the least. I like this as I am always trying to learn more about them, why they are where they are, etc. I have read many books and have spent many hours on the water over the past 2 years for crappie. Last week I found 3 crappie locations on portage lakes, all similar, in about 5 feet of water, near specific types of structure, etc. The problem is all of the crappie in each of the 3 locations were small....all under the 9" min. limit. I must have caught 30+ in a couple of hours but they were all small. SO all of this leads to my questions: Do crappie school according to size in summer? Do the large crappie inhabit different areas than the smaller ones? In other words, where are the large crappie in relation to the smaller ones? Or, is it simply that the lake I am fishing is composed of mostly small crappie? Any help and advice you can offer is appreciated! Please respond via post or PM me. Thank you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts