Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Lucky One
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what everyone is waiting for.Very few guys fish the RT14 bridge after dark now. In years past it would be shoulder to shoulder fishermen the whole length of the causeway and if you didn't get there early enough you wouldn't be able to fish.Forward 15-20 years and nobody fishes there after dark anymore.Well, I can't say nobody because there are just a couple of my customers that just started to, with very nice results.If you like good sized crappie, give it a shot with lighted bobbers and minnows under the bridge. I've seen a number of 18"ers come out the past 2 weeks. The majority of their catches are 12"-15" and they have been leaving before 11pm with a bucketfull.Those that know me know this is no BS. If you have the time, give it a try. If you like to catfish there have been some nice 15-18lb channels caught there too, and I know they get much larger than that. I can only imagine what the you would attract if there were a couple floating crappie lights dropped off the top of the bridge........Mark

Mark's Live Bait-tackle And Ammo
7271 ST Rt 14
Ravenna,Ohio 44266
330-296-3474 Shop
330-221-5213 Cell

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I fish for bass there maybe once a week and it has been real slow.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Nice report! I'll give you a call Mark, never fished it but sounds awesome. 15"-18" crappie is a SLAB! my pb is 16". What are the hours of your tackle shop on Saturday and Sunday?

·
The Lucky One
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm open till 9PM Fri-Sun and 8PM Mon-Thurs.The bass and pike fishing has been slow, March thru June is real good for those and again when Oct comes around. It's hard to get better reports because only a handful of guys fish there...........Mark

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
I've heard various viewpoints but #1, if it legal to fish from the causeway?
and #2, where would you park?? Being pretty much an "off limit" area, what would the "limit" be on crappie?(Pretty sure it's not listed in the regs!)

·
Registered
304 Posts
if it is not listed in the ''site specific reg's'' i would assume there is neither a size or quantity limit , correct?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
if it is not listed in the ''site specific reg's'' i would assume there is neither a size or quantity limit , correct?
So Mark, how about running a shuttle bus, you'll be homebase lol.
( formerly No wake )
Heck yea, as a kid my mom would let us kids off there and pick us up at 10pm, the current eddys under that bridge were the cats a$$ back then and still probably now too.

·
The Lucky One
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CJ, Icebucketjohn is a current Akron ranger working at lake Rockwell. This is the way he put it to me: "Anywhere there's a guardrail, you're allowed to fish." There is a lot for sale 200ft up on the right hand side just past the bridge if your heading towards Ravenna. The lot is up for sale and is privately owned. Guys have been parking there the past 6-7 years and you're real close to the bridge.The first white house on the right just past the lake, if you're heading towards Streetsboro, lets guys park in his yard for $3-4 bucks.The private lot is 3x closer to the bridge and it's free.

As for the catfishing, there have been 2 18lb channels that were brought to the shop in the last couple weeks.They get much bigger, cuz I've caught them close to 40lbs in years past near my house. Last year, while using goldfish for cats, guys were catching some nice walleye after dark.......Mark

PS. The State has been doing alot of work after dark along the causeway the past couple of weeks. They just finished putting up new guardrails yesterday. I'm not sure how much work they have left to go on the bridge itself, but they have to be close to getting it done.

·
The Lucky One
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've heard various viewpoints but #1, if it legal to fish from the causeway?
and #2, where would you park?? Being pretty much an "off limit" area, what would the "limit" be on crappie?(Pretty sure it's not listed in the regs!)
CJ, I've lived on the lake since 1987. I probably know the rules better than anybody else. I wouldn't put anyone in any position to be breaking Akron's rules or laws. The best advise I can give anyone is 1) Do Not Park Anywhere Along RT14, 2) Do Not Go Past The NO TRESSPASSING Signs Down By The Water and 3) You'll Be Sorry Taking Ultra Light Gear To Fish With.

·
Fisherman
2,352 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Its about 30 minutes away, I'll try to get a ride there. By the way, what time is best for fishing? And why not bring ultra lite gear?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I dont understand. Where are you allowed to park? I havent been there since I was a kid with my dad and they had that small lot on the right side as you are going towards Ravenna. I remember my dad catching a musky there.

·
The Lucky One
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lakota, The City Of Akron filled in that parking lot with mounds of dirt about 25 years ago. If you pass the old parking lot, which would be on your right hand side going from Streetsboro to Ravenna, you want to pass the bridge and go another 200ft. There will be a pull-off leading into a field on the right hand side. Same side of the road as the old parking lot, except you go past the bridge to the other side of the causeway ...........Mark

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was wondering if parking was allowed there. Thanks for that info. I may try it out there tommorow. I have fond memories fishing with my dad there.

·
The Lucky One
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lakota, the only thing that has changed from the days guys fished shoulder to shoulder along the causeway is those pesky white perch made their way in from LaDue....Mark

·
Registered
105 Posts
Happy New Year Mark. I read your post, so I guess the guys catching the crappie were down there late July fishing the bridge after correct?? How was the bluegill fishing this past year there. I was there early April and didn;t get a nibble.

Hope to hear from you!
Crappie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts