Ohio Game Fishing banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Johnny tsunami
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
21395.jpeg
Welp i went yesterday and started off trolling. Got a 10" right away then rolled around for a bit then BAM!!!!!! snagged a log...... Took a minute to get my beloved crappie crank unhooked but got it and moved a little then cast back out. Almost instantly my rod started hammering and i lunge at my rod. At first i think cat then walleye but as the fish got closer i see a pan size gold flash and right away i know i got a pig crappie. I plucked a big 14.25 and then nothing trolling. I moved to my night spot and got decent action got 8 keepers to add. Wasn't a bad day!

·
Johnny tsunami
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Decided to head back after work. Picked up a few more trolling then my battery died so no more trollie.. Kinda sucks cuz my old jointed rap was seeing action. Went back to the ole minnows and picked up 7 before i ran out. I got a decent little pile to cut up tomorrow😁

·
Johnny tsunami
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Probably going to go for my last dedicated crappie mission of the season. Its about that time to shift to big water. Ill post the outcome later

·
Johnny tsunami
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Plucked a handful of keepers and got a pleasant surprise whale of a 15" on the Minnie under a bobber. Thought it was a cat the way it fought she straightened the hook thank god i got the net under it. Might have been enough to keep me going back. Action was nuts before dark i had 2 rods out and it was straight chaos lots of misses and robbers. I went through 3 doz minnows in a couple hrs haven't had that kinda action all year. Trolling was a bust i only caught perch.... The yeller kind and dinks wish they were bigger i could've had a dozen

·
Angry hillbilly
1,392 Posts
Late post but went yesterday on a whim... And it was popping! The crappie bite for me has seriously picked up this last week. I put 13 in the basket in little over a hr and handled a bunch smaller between
U must have a bunch of kids or u must be getting some kick back cause u keep fish all the time!!! It’s a pain in the rear to clean them all the time!

·
Johnny tsunami
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Only one kid and a woman that loves fish! And she rather me fish than do some of the things i used to do in my 20s so i guess being a bit of a crazy partier payed of to me being allowed to fish a lot 😉. I got used to cutting up a ton of fish every year. We do big walleye frys a couple times a year. But i got a crappie technique that i can fly through them so it doesn't take any time really. Once i get to the rib i make one slice to the skin over the rib and just pull the whole side off its crazy how easy crappie skin separates at the belly its like opening a zipper.

·
Johnny tsunami
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Soooo its been really quiet on the crappie front. Whats the deal? Am i the only one still after them or the only one still pulling them? Probably going to hit it tomorrow night to see if i still got it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not a crappie guy so much but got 10 on Monday along with some nice gills. My fishing bud cleans the crappie same way, rips the meat from the ribs

·
Johnny tsunami
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ive found that its not that they leave its they just shut off for a couple hrs. I think its a adjustment period or just a typical lul. Every fish has shutdown periods. I don't stick it out like i use to but ive found an hr after dark the bite comes in waves generally ill have 30min of action and maybe an hr slow that pretty much alternates all night. At least in my night spots that is

21 - 40 of 74 Posts