Crappie at CC?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by tommy454, May 22, 2008.

1. tommy454

tommy454 Fishaholic

Going out tomarrow either CC or Cowan. Was at CC Monday and it was pretty merky. Has the water cleared up at all? Anyone catching any crappie? Trying to get a feel for where to fish, I'll be on the foot so if the crappie aren't in the shallows I'm probaly bettter off at Cowan. Thanks for any insight.

2. Meh, that lake seems to be alot further behind than any other lakes, I spoke to Tom Dietz over at Gander Mountain a few days ago, and he seems to think it's going to be awhile till that lake has stabilized as well. I did do well on the crappie a few weeks ago before this cold front and rain, but haven't done anything since.

3. tommy,
    This is that time when Crappie are changing to post spawn pattern. That's the time to target the gills for frenzy bite, instead. And a focus on Crappie at the shores at dawn and dusk can pay off, though the places for this are fewer and farther between than during the spawn.

It's also the weekend for the pleasure boaters' first outing on CC.

4. Caught a few nice craupies yesterday, mostly around the edges and brush, but had to search here and there for them, but at least they had some size to them. Pulled in a few saugies too, fun to catch, anyway! The day was great and the water seams to be clearing.

5. tommy454

tommy454 Fishaholic

I went to Cowan instead, fished from 10am to 5pm and caught them all day long, I kept 25 ranging from 8-11" Had three nice 10+ and several 9's. the rest were 8's
    Threw back WAY more than I kept, I would estimate about 100 landed. Seem to get more keepers than I normally get, of course if I were at CC I would have had about 10 keepers. All fish were caught in the cove across from the spillway 3-6' deep on minnows. A good time was had!!!!
    I'm in trouble though, I didn't let my kids out of school to go with me, and my son gets pretty upset when I fish without him, He is the nine year old with the rainbow trout in my profile pic.