Ohio Game Fishing banner

Crankbait hook up

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Super G 
#1 ·
When using crankbaits do you guys tie your line directly to the split ring or use snaps or snaps w/swivels....I'm not sure if the snaps or s/swivels would take away some action of the lure....Just wondering what everybody does...Any info helps

#6 ·
I also use a #2 snap, but I run a 20' fluorocarbon 15lb leader that is connected to my main line with a spro micro swivel. The swivel does 3 things for me, 1 I can hear when it's in the guides and I know the fish is within 20' and 2nd, when you have a white bass /perch or sheephead spinning there is no line twist. And 3rd that is the section of line that is always taking a beating and getting cut and retied, my reels stay calibrated better and I just replace that piece and all stays the same for much longer. I guess a 4th reason is once we are night bite fishing i am mostly clipping my boards on that section also and again makes it easier to replace beat up line without losing calibration.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

#13 ·
View attachment 370975 This is what I’ve been using to help combat the white trash/ sheep twirl. A #2 duo-lock snap and a # 10 spro power swivel.
The clip up is an excellent point. If I use a swivel I place it up the line a bit away from the bait. Honestly though, I typically don’t use a swivel with a crank. Trash hasn’t seemed to be an issue this year in the locations I’ve been fishing thankfully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.