Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using crankbaits do you guys tie your line directly to the split ring or use snaps or snaps w/swivels....I'm not sure if the snaps or s/swivels would take away some action of the lure....Just wondering what everybody does...Any info helps

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I never tie directly to a split ring just because of that little area where the split form's.I feel,in my opinion, that the line could catch in there and nick it there.I'll use a snap or a snap ball bearing swivel with a solid ring.There are different brand's out there just choose the size you need. IMHO

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I also use a #2 snap, but I run a 20' fluorocarbon 15lb leader that is connected to my main line with a spro micro swivel. The swivel does 3 things for me, 1 I can hear when it's in the guides and I know the fish is within 20' and 2nd, when you have a white bass /perch or sheephead spinning there is no line twist. And 3rd that is the section of line that is always taking a beating and getting cut and retied, my reels stay calibrated better and I just replace that piece and all stays the same for much longer. I guess a 4th reason is once we are night bite fishing i am mostly clipping my boards on that section also and again makes it easier to replace beat up line without losing calibration.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
If I’m bass fishing a jerk bait or casting a crankbait I use a duo-lock snap only. When trolling I use a duo-lock snap with swivel. I’m not sure why but when I mated for a couple captains in PA, that’s what they did so I guess I just followed suit.

·
Registered
779 Posts
That’s a detail I have missed. Thanks for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I too initially did not know that the clip faces upward until someone here on OGF pointed it out.I went back and looked at some of my old cranks and had a semi-circle line on lip from that clip scratching it.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
View attachment 370975 This is what I’ve been using to help combat the white trash/ sheep twirl. A #2 duo-lock snap and a # 10 spro power swivel.
The clip up is an excellent point. If I use a swivel I place it up the line a bit away from the bait. Honestly though, I typically don’t use a swivel with a crank. Trash hasn’t seemed to be an issue this year in the locations I’ve been fishing thankfully.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
The clip up is an excellent point. If I use a swivel I place it up the line a bit away from the bait. Honestly though, I typically don’t use a swivel with a crank. Trash hasn’t seemed to be an issue this year in the locations I’ve been fishing thankfully.
You do realize you just cursed yourself with trash fish the rest of the year!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts