close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crane Creek Danger Danger

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by swantucky, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Just got word the crack has opened to 300 feet plus offshore. There are about 100 guys trapped out there and the coast gaurd is on scene. Do not go out there unless you have an airboat. I'll post as I get more info.

2. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

just got word from my dad that it was about a 50 yard crack 7 of them ran 2 miles south and crossed he had to get off the phone because someone went through i will post again when he calls back........................i told him not to go :mad:

3. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

this is live on CNN right NOW!!!!

4. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

well my dad got off ok they found a spot to cross the last guy in their groop lost his 4 weeler and went in because the ice broke up as he was crossing it they are pulling people out with the chopper now

5. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

they just showed a live shot on CNN with that 4-wheeler upside down in the water......I hope everyone is ok! :(

6. I can't say anything but how stupid this all really sounds! People just don't use common sense this time of year when it comes to ice and what is safe ice and what is not. I hope your Dad and everyone gets off unharmed....

7. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i told him not to with the weather we have had but i got him a 3 weeler and he is just like a kid with it and had to get out 1 more time ............i look at it like the fish will allways be their...........if he did not have the 3 weeler he would not have made it off in time

8. Scary stuff....wonder what the bill is going to run them for that rescue effort!!

9. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

OTTAWA COUNTY -- Warm temperatures and changing conditions caused a section of ice to break away from the shore on Friday, trapping two dozen ice fishermen out on an ice floe in Lake Erie. It happened just after 11:00am off Crane Creek State Park in Ottawa County.

Rescuers from Jerusalem Township, Allen Township, Lucas County, Ottawa County, and the city of Toledo were all called to the scene. The Coast Guard also sent a helicopter from Detroit to the scene.

Rescuers were able to determine that no one was actually in the water, but rather all 25 people were trapped on the ice about a mile from shore. At 11:30, rescuers began trying to reach them by boat. By noon, about 15 of them had been brought to shore, but the rescue was still going on.

According to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Crane Creek State Park is in an area of freshwater marsh, and sandy beach. ODNR's web site says the coastal environment is home to more than 300 species of birds, including herons, waterfowl, warblers, gulls and bald eagles. ODNR says fishermen often go to the park to fish for walleye, yellow perch, bluegill, crappie, white bass, channel catfish and freshwater drum.

The park is located on 42 acres, about 15 miles east of Toledo.

This story is still developing, and we'll update it as more information comes in.

10. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Heres an update...There were 30 fishermen rescued off Crane Creek and all of them are fine. They just finished the story on the local news. Also, at this time there are rescues going on off Davis Besse and West sister island as I type this. We will have to wait for details on those two rescues. :(

11. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

glad i put up my hard water stuff last weekend

12. Tee

Tee Team OGF

I hope everyone is ok. It can be very dangerous to Ice fish this time of year.