close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

craigslist question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by imalt, Aug 19, 2008.

1. imalt

imalt Banned

does anyone have any experience selling on craigslist. I am selling a bowflex treadclimber and I keep getting emails from persons telling me give then my name and address and they will send me a certified check. And they will take care of shipping. Seems fishy just seeing if anyone had any opinion on it.

2. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

You are being phished. Stay away from them. Cash makes no enemies!

3. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Yep, scammers, especially when they want to pay more than you're asking for.

4. i would ask where they are or a phone number? i've sold a ton of stuff and never got that.
    good luck

5. imalt

imalt Banned

They dont want to pay more. Just the total. If i get a phone # should I do a phone # search and see if it is a valid #. I have sold a ton of stuff on craigslist and never got this. Two were from asian name emails the last was a guy that lives in SC.

6. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

when you made your post there was a check box at the bottom saying something along the lines of ok for others to contact you about other services, products or commercial interests) if you checked that box you'll get those "scam emails"

7. imalt

imalt Banned

i didnt check that box. the problem is I could understand the scam if they were wanting to pay more and me send money to them or any of that crap. I cant figure out the scam here because they want to pay the price I am asking. But it seems like a scam I just cant figure the angle on it

8. If you think it is legit, I would instruct them that you are going to wait until the check totally clears (give bank several days to determine if check is a fake) prior to shipping or them picking the item up. Personally I would be willing to take less $$ in cash and deal with someone locally rather than deal with shipping. I have never had any problems on Craiglist, but that does seem strange.

9. how much are you selling it for?

10. imalt

imalt Banned

750.00 may take partial trade. It is basically brand new less than 25 hours

11. "They will take care of shipping"
    This basic scam is, the "buyer" promises payment via a cashiers check. Then through a series of emails, (never phone calls) they will try to secure your trust, usually with some heartfelt BS involving an elderly relative or a terminally sick child, a charity auction, ANYTHING, that will get you to "ship" it before payment. Then out-of-the-blue, some "third party shipping company, with out-of-state plates" shows up at your door with some fake-ass paperwork for pick-up. They (a husband and wife team-probably with a child) will be completely and utterly amazed, when they find out you haven't been paid. Panic induced cell phone conversations on your front porch happen next, at which time the "courier" ensures the "buyer on the phone" that he can cover the cost of the item with another check from a bank no ones ever heard of. All this will happen at night so the seller will have no way to verify funds, and yeah I almost forgot to mention, they won't speak English very well. People fall for it, everyday. It may seem like a lot of trouble for a treadmill, but in reality its a couple hours work. Multiply this by say ten items a month, and you get the picture. I might add, there is very little recourse for the victim. My Craigslist rule is, if you can't drive to my crib to see what you're buying, you are out. End of

12. imalt

imalt Banned

that makes sense. I wasnt comfortable giving someone my address out of state anyway. plus I looked up their shipping company and it doesnt exist.

13. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

All my purchases and sales have been pick up only. Saves a ton of hassle.

14. They probably want to harvest your e-mail account. If you reply to them. They know your e-mail is valid and they can sell it to others.....When I tried to sublease an apartment, I got a bunch of those each with a sad story why they needed the apartment and they were usually models/ dancers etc. Look at return e-mail gmail seems to have alot of bogus...I set up a new e-mail for Craigslist so I wouldn't contaminate my good e-mail...

Snakecharmer