close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

crack in gel coating under waterline

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ezbite, Aug 16, 2007.

1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i was under the boat just doing a routine inspection of my hull and i found a crack about a foot long in the gel coating. it is on the bottom where the trailer bunks ride. it runs from the front to the back along the bunk. im sure its from going up rt#11 and all the construction. its a very bumpy ride and it wasnt there this spring when i was under her.. how concerned should i be and is the a problem i need to get repaired? i can tell it is only on the surface and i am not taking on any water.. i know anything that has a crack in it, is only going to crack more:mad: im looking into more support for the boat when on the trailer in the shape of keel rollers. anyone have this problem or any ideas? ill try to get a photo. the boat is a 97 and i do see a lot of spider web like ones, but i see there just on the gel coat. this one seemes a little deeper.

Attached Files:

2. ezbite

3. ezbite that looks to be like the stringers are giving a little during rough rides. Ive had several fiberglass boats and that would be my guess. I would defintley get her fixed cause like you said its only going to get worse and over time you could see some stringers if not fixed hope this helps Gary Zart Blue Dolphin

4. Champion188 Elite

Champion188 Elite Smallie slayer

The little spider web cracks are probably stress cracks,not un-common in any fiberglass boat that sees rough water a good bit.

The crack(s) in your picture would worry me,looks like the hull could be flexing especially on the big waves that the bottom seems to fall out of.I would keep a good eye on it.It will get worse.
    Find a reputable glass repair shop(sorry I don't know any) and get them lined up for a winter project.

I thought the only boats that cracked like this were Tritons!!:p

5. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Anyway to inspect below deck?

Post the picture on the Iboats restoration forum... lot of experience in that forum.

6. Don't know if you have two or four bunks. If only two, then consider adding two more. I personally would rather spread the load over more hull area than on the keel. Just my opinion and might be a good idea to contact the factory for their suggestion regarding spacing and location.
    Cracked keel......goodbye.

7. Eriesteamer

Eriesteamer BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

I am not sure what caused them.but I would say you need do one or 2 things.get some that poxy ( fider glass glue) and try paint it.the type is what you use to hold figerglass on boat.sand with ruff sand paper before you paint it..it will be a type you mix 2 to gether then got about hour to set.it will run so theres another problem you will have doing it.do mix just what you need use as if all thats in the cans will set and waist.those lines you say I call spider web lines.the paint things ok but if you see it get worst best to glue with epoxy and fiber glass mat over the place where they are.think it has to do with the epoxy ageing and drying that causes it.last the fiberglass mat they used to make boat will be exsposeded thus better get it fixed now.if you still got no idea what to do then see a boat place to redo it for you but they will soak you to the gills for working on it.yep it will get worst so do it soon.they do or did make a poxy paint at one time to paint boat that maybe a second place make shift if you care not go the distance and fix good first time.but I think this paints just a quick fix if your selling it.last I knew the paint was just a one can stuff.yet sold as epoxy paint.it probely not half as strong as the 2 can mix is.the 2 can by the way is clear.less you can get color dye for it.only sold in boat stores last I knew but try hardware if you want.but it may not be the real McCoy.and not good enough to do it really best.I use to get mine from Herters but they been out busness for years.they had the fiberglass mat too.and there prices was tops for saving plus there stuff was top line.now if as the other guy says it be from stringer you can buff it out.but bet it be not that.boat places can do it for you as it is not as easy to do a buff out thing less you got rite buffer machine as this is not paint thing but fiberglass and epoxy to buff.if deep it will weaken the whole thing.your boat that is at the spot you buff.hope you can fix it before it gets to far gone.

8. Eriesteamer

Eriesteamer BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

Just a quick thought to your problem.now they have a clear coat thats used over paint on cars that maybe cheap way out.it will seal it.and best here is it can be sprayed on top or side and even under bottom as it is less likely to run.most good body shops can do it.they know how do it.so do not try yourself.it to has a drier that to set it quick.may not be best if you leave your boat in water to long as over night or week ends.yet it is a cheap way out to a fast repair.

9. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I posted your delema on Iboats... we'll hear some comments over night.

My personal thought is that it is a stress crack, not your normal spider crack. That's whay I asked earlier if you can get a look below decks to see what's going on.

10. ezbite

thanks for all the replys. i cant really see below deck exactly where this crack is. i know im not taking on water. it is no way big enough for that. i talked to a glass man at work and he suggested a glass filler, sanding and paint it. i think ill wait to see what else you guys have to say. thanks.