Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I got one going up to Spring Valley Road one night. Big dog so I helped the population by getting him. There are a lot of coyotes around this area.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Once on 33 out beyond Marysville I saw a pair crossing the 4-lane. They crossed the first two lanes, then hunkered down in the median until they had an opening, then they ran across the other two lanes.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Looked like a werewolf to me.
I'm on the West side of Columbus and people talk about coyotes being around but I've never heard them. I have heard them up in Knox and it will chill your bones to know they are out there in a pack roaming somewhere in the dark.

As for werewolves, I know some Zappa material but I'll put that in the derailer thread.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'm on the West side of Columbus and people talk about coyotes being around but I've never heard them. I have heard them up in Knox and it will chill your bones to know they are out there in a pack roaming somewhere in the dark.

As for werewolves, I know some Zappa material but I'll put that in the derailer thread.
I stayed at the Holiday Inn there on Tuttle many times while doing some working down there in Columbus. I heard some coyotes while out in the parking lot late one night.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I live in the Eastfork park area. In the past month yotes have been on the move. I see them when I leave for work.

All over.

They cry at night. We have 17 acres of hard woods and about 1k acres of behind us.

Nuts this time of year.

Keep your dogs in.

·
1,922 Posts
I live in the Eastfork park area. In the past month yotes have been on the move. I see them when I leave for work.

All over.

They cry at night. We have 17 acres of hard woods and about 1k acres of behind us.

Nuts this time of year.

Keep your dogs in.
Night before last around 8:30 heard my dog Molly bark on the back deck and then howl. Stepped to the door and could hear some coyotes howling behind my house and Molly was howling back. Took her inside and had a sit down with her and explained she shouldn't be talking to strangers, especially those strangers 'cause they would probably invite her for lunch....:eek:

·
The end is near
6,810 Posts
Calm water- I like your wife and don't even know her. Coyotes got 2 of our kitties a few years back. What redeaming quality do they serve? They eat dogs, cats, fawns, and other helpless animals.
I realize they aren't going anywhere, anytime soon. They're perfectly camoed, stealthy and hungry.
OFF TOPIC ALERT - About a year ago it seemed I was picking off a lot of deer on the road with my vehicle. It was like my vehicle was a deer magnet.
Then one time while in a body shop, the guy working on my vehicle told me I mounted my deer alerts on backwards and I was, CALLING THE DEER. :confused:

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Calm water- I like your wife and don't even know her. Coyotes got 2 of our kitties a few years back. What redeaming quality do they serve? They eat dogs, cats, fawns, and other helpless animals.
I realize they aren't going anywhere, anytime soon. They're perfectly camoed, stealthy and hungry.
OFF TOPIC ALERT - About a year ago it seemed I was picking off a lot of deer on the road with my vehicle. It was like my vehicle was a deer magnet.
Then one time while in a body shop, the guy working on my vehicle told me I mounted my deer alerts on backwards and I was, CALLING THE DEER. :confused:
U got lucky,normally they tell u the deer alert is broken an charge u to install a new one,shew.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
One time coming home from the ridge in Knox on Rt. 62 at night, behind a kickass set of driving lights, I saw a herd of ~30 deer crossing the road. I knew they were looking at me because their eyes were shining back at me.

I thought, Oh crap, and I slowed way down to about 30 so I could skid-stop in a short distance. Half the herd was already across the road and the other half was waiting to cross.

That's when I adopted the phrase "splitting the herd" which applies to a lot of situations where I have to be very careful about someone in a group making a bad traffic move in front of me. It even applies to stores when there's a family gaggle in my way. In that case, I'll stop like a train until my way is clear.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
When your dog starts howling back bad things are about to happen. We hunted a place that was infested with them, it happened over the course of two years. We talked with the owner, she said they got her brothers dog,a Collie. She could hold her own, but was baited into an open field. The Turkey population took a hit, along with the deer. The neighboring farmers were getting hit too. One day Margaret, the property owner called and wanted us to come meet her and her neighbors. We had written permission to hunt year round. At first it was just coyotes, we had plenty of help from the farmers. All in all we numbered from 5 to 11 hunters. It took a while to figure out their habits and den sites. The area had been strip mined, so instead of tramping all over, we would setup and call and flag them in. We put a serious dent in the population. Which made a surprising difference. From then on we had permanent permission to hunt whatever was in season. We were a group of seven highly excited family members. We would make it a habit of helping those farmers at times when their work loads were heavy. Those were some of the best times we all learned how to get along and became good friends. Sadly most of us have either gotten too old or passed on. I can just about remember every time we were out there. Good Times for sure

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
My wife was walking our 16 month old Plott hound Smoky a couple of weeks ago when she saw a coyote trotting down the road toward her. Smoky began having a fit, and the coyote decided he didn't want to tackle the Plott and made off quickly. Plotts were bred here to tackle boar and bear so coyotes won't have much of a chance one on one. But coyotes try to lure big dogs to follow them, then out rushes the main group to overwhelm the dog.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts