close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cowen Lake Crappie Forcast

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Nightprowler, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

I was wondering if the crappie fishing this year will be better than last year? It was like they stocked the lake with dinks last year, so one would figure this might be a banner year. Has anyone done any good there this year?
    Thanks for any info.

2. I usually go there first, but I might not get there till May.
    I agree with you that this should be a great year for Cowan. Those 7 inch dinks ought to be 9-10 inches this year. And there was a ton of 'em. :cool:

3. Tee

Tee Team OGF

I hit Cowan yesterday 3-36 from 3pm to 6pm. The water temps were 44.5 near the dam and as high as 48.6 in the coves. The water was stained in the coves but was clearer near the dam. I was Bass Fishing and missed a hit. I think I need to slow WAY down. Was fun to get out.

4. catking

catking Banned

Cowan crappie run in spurts. Two years ago you could go there and catch them in the 10 " range all day long. And people did just that. Thousands were taken out and as a result, you got a bad year last season. Cowan has cycles like this all the time.. This season might be ok. Next should be better......THE CATKING !!!

5. The fishing does run in cycles. I talked to Tommy at the Marina last week and he agreed that the crappie fishing was off last year. He did say that he thought it would be pretty good this year. If you catch any saugeye while crappie fishing, please report your catch to the marina. The state may discontinue stocking saugeye if there isn't enough feed back from fisherman.

Another fish that seems to be on the way out at Cowan is the white bass. Tom said that they are just about nonexistant. Cycles plus over fishing and poor spawning grounds equals few if any fish.