close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cowan Weekend Crappie Report 17 Apr04

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TheKing, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Today was beautiful day with alot of wind and not alot of crappies. Overflowed parking lot, but it didn't seem at all crowded on the water.
    I heard from one using the fish-finder that lots of fish are hanging at 15 ft in 20-25 ft depth. I saw one boat catching a very slow pace close-in, but they were mostly small ones (under 8"). One boat caught a couple of 12 inchers way out in open water, but that was all they caught. The rest caught a few small ones here and there. Our boat's total catch was 2 crappies under 8 inches. One of the guys in my boat got skunked, but we really don't need further detail, do we. Most of the others enjoying late afternoon fishing will not have to clean fish tonight. The 0-dark-thirty people probably did better.
    The crappie tournament is tomorrow. I think it will be another great day.

2. traphunter

traphunter Guest

We fished today as well. We caught 7 crappie about 6 inches long and a bass and catfish as well. Your right it was a pretty day but the wind really sucked though! :D . This time last year we was catching big slabs by the dozen but looks like it may be different this year. We will be at the tournyment tomorrow also. Good Luck! :)

3. Hit the lake in the afternoon from my canoe. Took 9 crappie, best 9" fishing about 18" off the bottom in 17 feet of water where creekbeds come into the coves on the north shore. Also took a nice largemouth (palest coloring I have ever seen on a largemouth, they must have been sitting VERY deep for a long time to be so silvery/white) of about 15". Three small white bass came to a fly fished on a sinking line as the wind moved me along the shore (had to use a drag chain to keep the drift slow enough to work both rods).

Yesterday was a stream day for smallies and that was a good choice.

Catch and release and remember to take out more stuff than you brought in!

J

4. Wonderful. Fantastic. It deosn't get any better.

5. You want to expand on that King? How did you do? How about you traphunter? How was the fishing guys?

Steve

6. traphunter

traphunter Guest

LOL TheKing is speaking for himself. :p We didnt do so hot. I caught around 50 cappies but just no size at all to them, they averaged about 6 inches! :eek: :D Almost all the fish caught by everybody was small. I caught almost all my crappie off the same tree. It was a nice day however and was fun trying anyway.

Oh by the way somthing that really mae me mad was the amount of dead fish floating after the tournyment was over. People was throwing all their dead fish back into the water after weigh- in. :mad: :eek:

7. Man that is crap! Doesn't make any sense either, those are tasty fish. I guess some people just have to be idiots. Any day you land 50 fish is a pretty good day, size or no size it sounds like you guys found the fish.

Steve

8. gstrick27

gstrick27 ITS BLUEJACKETS TIME!!!!!

The touney on sat. was great, theking and myself took home third with a total weight of 4.28lbs. We caught most of our bigger fish between 7 and 10 in the morning, with our 15 caught by 8:30. In total we brought home 62 crappie and a couple of white bass, bet we threw away 30-40 of the really small ones. Something should be said to the guys running the weigh in next year, maybe they could ask some of the people watching the weigh in if they want any fish before they just through them out. Anyway me and theking both agreed it felt great to be catching anything, and even better to get paid for it :D

9. The weigh-in, the fish, and the money! :)

Attached Files:

10. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Glad you guys got some fish. This year the size to the crappies is VERY small compared to last year. I talked to a few guys and the only thing we could figure was that most of the big ones were took out last year. I remember seeing guys last year keeping Huge stringers of big crappies, so I guess it dont really suprize me. All the fish we caught were released so they could be caught when their bigger. If people take a few fish home to eat that night thtas cool, but I just cant see the need for people keeping these huge amounts of fish in one day. Good job on your win though glad you found some nice ones. Oh by the way my dads the one that took the picture of you with the check.

11. Congrats to all of you. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Steve

12. Traphunter,
    The pic that your dad took turned out great. It's the trophy that I was after. Let him know that and thank him for me again.
    Our take home basket of fish was large and greedy looking, wasn't it. Many came from the floaters at the dock. We scooped up the dead ones (even the 6 inchers) and put them on the dinner table and in the freezer, rather than let them waste and stink up the marina. If not for that, we had a modest catch & consume.
    I strongly agree that we all have to avoid wasting. And I count on the DNR and the parks to control and maintain our fisheries through limits and angling regulations. We pay the state alot for some serious experts on those issues. I am not sure that I have seen any overall decline in crappie during the last 30 years that I have fished this lake, but I could be wrong. Others fish it more than me and they would be able to tell. Certainly improvement on bass and muskie has occurred.
    On those fish sizes declining due to a tournament day, you could be right. I always believed that the largemouth declined in Ceasar's due to it. But I'll agree more after the next few years plays out. Seems familiar to me that they are small early in the spawn and again late spawn. The peak of good fish has been consistent in the middle, but I have seen weather really mess that up a few times. Things might be a little colder/later this year, but you never know for sure. My dad would never even hit this lake till 1 May, and he was right-on alot more than half the time by waiting that late.
    On this past Sunday, I saw the largest set of 15 I have ever seen come from Cowan. But I probably also saw the smallest set as well. Does anyone remember the weigh-in numbers from last year? I think 7.02 was the high this year.

13. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Hey TheKing, That was a good thing you done by getting some of the dead fish out of the lake. Im glad someone else thinks the way I do. ;) Maybe the bigger crappies will pick up later this year. I think the winning weight last year was close to 10 pounds, but almost everybody had a heavy stringer last year. :rolleyes: :) The same guy that won it this year did pretty well last year too if I remember right. :eek Hey good fishing to ya in the future! ;)

....................SeTH