Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An excellent day to be on the water today. Winds were calm and variable, sun was shining, no winter gear required (something we can all appreciate this year) and the temps were about 65-70 degrees most of the day.

One problem though, the surface water temp was reading at about 49 degrees this morning and so goes the bite today. Slow and scattered were the crappies (the only real sportsman's gamefish). I got a few more than a dozen small ones and not single big one.

Not too many on the lake today, but one in the parking lot was an upscale SUV with a paint job on the level of a NASCAR artwork. The name Broderick was in 12 inch letters on the sides and so I assume that he or his crew were on the lake today.

The surface water temp rose to about 52 during the course of the day and it looks like this weekend will be a slow bite. The ones I caught were coming about 2 per hour and on a slow free-drift dragging the bottom with a minnow on a lightweight jig. Still fishing 9ft under the bobber got a few, but slow bottom drag was better.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
That's colder than I thought it would be. I like the idea of no winter gear and not real windy. I think the real cold is over and its just going to keep getting better.

·
Registered
675 Posts
water temps at east fork went up to 57 degrees by 1 pm on sat......we hammered fish....might wanna rethink fishing this weekend again...GL

·
"Work Hard, Play Harder"
193 Posts
What did you get bad mother, I am torn, want to fish tomorrow, don't know if I drive to Erie or East Fork or put boat in at Rocky Fork, anyone have any suggestions-- I will have an empty seat if anyone wants to fish--

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would avoid Rocky Fork at all costs, seeing as there are going to be two tourneys going on at the same time tomorrow. Should be no less than 90-100 boats between the two.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
badmother- Congrats on the good day at East Fork. I never would have expected such a quick reaction from the fish with warming water. But I can easily believe that it is possible during this week. What was your pattern to catching? Have you posted an East Fork fishing report today?

·
Registered
675 Posts
King,
No i didnt make a separate post. Most fish came off small tube baits fished in shallow water. The water increased almost around 8 degrees during the course of the day.(surface temps). I was going to fish one of those tournies at rocky tomorrow...But I might hold off. GL out there guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts