close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cowan Lake Weekend Report

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Fish-N-Fool, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Spent the weekend @ the Cowan Lake campground with the wife and dog. The weather was perfect and we had a great time, but I didn't do so well on the fishing. I planned to target catfish so I caught some gills & netted some shad first thing. Fished Saturday morning in 3 spots until 10 am - zippo! :eek: Hit the water again @ 10pm and fished until 3:30. I had 1 real good run on cut shad but it ended up being a 2.5lb channel :( Picked up another dink channel around 1:30 next to the high banks area near the cottages and that was it!

I guess I should have fished for crappie/gills, but I still had fun. I also caught about 1,000 perch in my cast net while catching shad. I talked to several people over the weekend and it didn't sound like anybody did real well. I did see some saugeyes in the 14-15'' range caught and kept. Overall, it was the worst fishing I've had out at Cowan this year, but a great time anyway! :)

2. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I was their Sunday and we got 4 dink channels. People I have talked to said this year has been a bad year for catfishing at Cowan also. Probably because all of the ones taken out last year. :mad:

3. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I also got skunked fishing for carp and crappie.

4. Cowan :mad: no luck either - I fished it this past Saturday & also the one before it. Got all excited reading about the big cats there & had to give it a try. I was using gills & goldfish fishing the cove back by the campground. For both outings my total was about a 4lb cat & a turtle. The 1st night we fished until sunup, the next weekend I quit by about 12:30.

5. Those big cats are there; I just think they weren't hungry :mad:

I think it was just a combination of the cold front moving in and that the lake is overloaded with food right now. There must have been a recent shad hatch because they are everywhere. I also think the cats have been feeding pretty heavy on those small perch. I'll give it a few weeks and try it again! :cool:

6. muskiehunter

muskiehunter Was that Bass 5lb?Burp!

went out last 2 weeks ago for muskie..no luck but 2 nice channel cat's one we thought was a muskie till it wouldnt surface,about 11lb'er the other 8-9 lbs caught trolling towards campground ramp from far side sailboat cove point..on magnum wiggle warts in pearl ,flat linnen and digging flats 10-14ft deep.....ps.if ya see any mskies holler....oh yeah almost forgot we throw em all back :) (except for some tasty gills)

7. traphunter

traphunter Guest

hey, my uncle got 2 muskies there last week.

8. muskiehunter

muskiehunter Was that Bass 5lb?Burp!

Cool,..... size? what part of the lake? what lure? what method? can ya tell i like to keep track of thse things?????:)
    did he take the scale samples ??? :rolleyes:

9. traphunter

traphunter Guest

One was 27in. and the other 30in. :)