Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've fished Cowan Lake and below the dam this year for a saugeye and haven't had any luck. I've been targeting saugeye since mid January with no luck.
Today I went out and tried twister tail grubs, lipless crank baits, hair jigs and jerkbaits. I fished for about 10 hours and only managed to snag a shad. I was seeing lots of fish on my depth finder however.

I was wondering if anyone has had much luck there lately or in the past and what techniques or areas of the lake to fish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
When you are seeing these fish in your sonar are they suspended? If so stop fishing for them,especially during the day this time of year. More then likely your not even gonna mark saugeye on your sonar during the day. They are hugging bottom. Try verticle jigging blades an maybe some jigging raps or ole jig/minnow. Look for deep flats with bait that are near shallow spawning grounds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you are seeing these fish in your sonar are they suspended? If so stop fishing for them,especially during the day this time of year. More then likely your not even gonna mark saugeye on your sonar during the day. They are hugging bottom. Try verticle jigging blades an maybe some jigging raps or ole jig/minnow. Look for deep flats with bait that are near shallow spawning grounds.
The bait was suspended so that would be why then probably. I'll try jigging some of the deep flats as soon as I can make it up there again. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts