Cowan Lake Bass Tournament

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by steveg11943, Aug 4, 2008.

1. steveg11943

steveg11943 steveg

We Are Having A Bass Tournament Saturday Night ,aug.16th At Cowan Lake ,start Time 6pm/weigh-in 1am/cost $15.00 Per Person/$5.00 Optional Big Fish

2. bass

bass EAT SLEEP FISH

I will try to be there

3. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I'll be there! I hope the fish cooperate.

4. bass

bass EAT SLEEP FISH

Full moon should be good :B ;)

5. Well, I got out on Cowan for the first time last sunday. I was pretty excited about finally getting the initiative to get out there. So I went, needless to say the lake was packed with Sail Boats/Boards. Great Day with a nice steady breeze. I was using my Min-Kota trolling motor to get around and it was really slow. I did not care much for the lack of speed in trying to look at the lake. I was less than impressed with the overall fishability of the lake at first glance. Lots of grass Emergent and submergent, steep banks with little cover other than the grass. Not one of my strong points. I caught a few dinks, then after awhile I started doing a couple different things. I could not really put anything together. The lake that size is tough to survey in a day with a electric motor. I did see the Lily fields but never went back to them. Seems it would take awhile to get back there. I went as far over as the Island and went accross the lake there. Fighting the wind and the sailboats that seem to be directly in my path alot. I dont know how those guys avoid hitting every other sailboat on the lake but get so close to me that I could flip a butt in there boat. Needless to say I lost momentum alot trying to go accross lake, having to get off the TM and slow down every time a sailor crossed my path. I did finally put a two pounder in the boat, and felt pretty good about that. It was a perfectly healthy fish. Hit hard and fought well.

I am going to try to do this, my questions. Would like to know what to expect. Is this like three or four guys just having a good time or is there a club deal. Does two per boat fish as a team or individual? Compete against the guy in your boat or combine weight per boat? Obviously if you fish alone, no problem. But two in a boat would make me ask, together as one or two against each other. I guess Five fish limit of 12 inches minimum.

6. how many do u all expect to show up? my and my budddy are going for sure.

7. steveg11943

steveg11943 steveg

$15.00 Per Person (2 People Per Team )$5.00 Optional Big Fish Covers Both People In The Boat.the $15.00 Per Person Is For Someone Who Wants To Fish Alone Or Cant Find A Partner . Rules ;five Fish Per Boat (15 Inch Minimum Size)(large And Smallmouth Only)do Not Bring Short Fish In To Be Weighed,the Weight Of The Short Fish Will Count Against Your Total Weight ,dead Fish Will Lose Half The Weight Of That Fish Against Your Total Weight(we Are Here Enjoy The Sport ,not Destroy It).we Will Probably Have 10 -12 Teams Hopefully.all The Guys Are Good Guys Who Are Competitive But Also Like To Have A Good Time .none Of Us Are Bassmasters Just A Few Guys Getting Together To Fish.we Are Not A Club Yet But Are Trying To Start One(buckeye Bass Buddies )some People Have Rangers Boats ,some Have Tracker Boats.100% Pay Back ,right Now We Only Have One Place (frist Place Takes All)except Big Fish.but Frist Place Can Take Both Pots.hope This Helps Any Questions Let Me Know,ill Be There At The Ramp By The Dam Around 5pm.

8. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Lunkers,

I hope you can make it out. This is a really, really good tournament to start on. Just a bunch of guys who like to fish putting a few bucks on the line to keep things interesting. Also night tournaments are much more laid back in my eyes, it just seems more relaxing to me. As Steve said it is 5 bass per boat, so having a partner allows you to have twice as many casts at those bass. Cowan is a 15" minimum, so that will make it harder to get keepers, but Cowan is full of good fish. Finding them is a different story though. Last tournament was won with 2 keeper bass at Acton. I think this one will take more, but who knows. I know that the tournament can't get here soon enough. I'm tired of working and need to get some fishing in.

9. jellywormer

jellywormer Waiting for the tap tap.

My son and I will try and be there.

10. steveg11943

steveg11943 steveg

Forgot To Tell Everyone ,you Can Only Use Atrificial Bait /no Live Bait,ill Be In A Silver Chevy Truck And Tracker Boat.please Try To Bring The Exact Amount For Your Entry Fee($15.00 Per Person And $5.00 For Optional Big Fish Pot If Your Going To Get In The Big Fish Pot.it Makes It So Much More Easier For Us Not To Try To Make Change.hope To See All Of You Saturday Good Luck

11. I will probably show up, Don't know if I will be alone or one of my buddies come with me. Like bass said a second rod in the boat will double your chances. I am not familiar at all with the lake. I cannot believe it is 15" lake. Seems like there are alot smaller bass in 15" lakes, like Caesars. 10 Dinks to every 1 keeper. At Cowan I got 1 keeper out of 3. Also never done a night tourney. Seems kinda silly to come fish a tournament at night when I dont even know my way around. At least I have GPS to follow my track back the begining, I guess. Really it should not be a problem if the clouds stay away. It should be absolutely perfect. Hope to meet y'all saturday.