Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fishless as usual
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend called me about 10:30 last night and asked if I wanted to go fishing. Of course I said sure so we loaded up and got to Cowan about 1 am (my friend takes forever to get ready) Seth you know who I am talking about :p Anyway, we were there only a few minutes and I was experimenting with a new secret carp bait and my pole was in the water only 5 minutes when the rod took off. It was a 4-5 pound channel cat. 10 minutes later on the same pole and bait another channel on my secret carp bait. :D Never managged a carp all night but we cought several cahnnels and all were better than normal. No 12" bait robbers. The runs were pretty consistant and we missed a lot of runs but had a great time. The weather was perfect. I also noticed a ton of shad. These were big shad too. Every time we shined the light out across the lake it would spook them and they would jump way out of the water. It was quite humerous! As we were preparing to leave, I shined the light in the water and spotted a 12-14" muskie! Real neat seeing one like that up close and personal. Wish I would have had a bass pole with me and a tiny torpedo! Oh well. At least it looks like the fish have fianlly turned on there. ;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hey Fastlane, good to see you found your way to this site. Carpin' is a good way to go cattin'. I've caught several nice channel cats this year on bread and corn.

·
Fishless as usual
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it was a good night. Much better than many "planed" nights. Since this was spur of the moment, I never had anything prepared. No carp bait, no nightcrawlers, only a tub of chicken livers and a few bass minnows and blue gill. Just before I left I checked out the cereal cabinet for something to use for carp and I found an almost empty box of some kind of honey flakes with dehydrated strawberries in it. I figured that it would be a decent carp bait but turned out to be a great channel cat bait. I went to the store today and bought another box :) Will see if it was just strange luck or a magical new bait next trip out.

·
Banned
127 Posts
I am from Middletown and would like to go out there at night but haven't because I did not know if the rangers kick you out or not. I am shore bound and would like to hit it up this week. I figure you can fish over by the dam but can you fish by the marina and boat docks? I appreciate any info you guys can give me.

·
Banned
5,617 Posts
You can fish anywhere at this lake at night gmr ;) It has EXCELLENT bank spots down by the marina and ranger station. CATKING

1 - 8 of 8 Posts