close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cowan Lake 5/26/04

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Fastlane, May 27, 2004.

1. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

Went to Cowan this evening after the big storm blew through and I wish I could say I had a good night but I think I have that dreaded curse that was going around GFO for the last few years. My daughter's boyfriend had a good evening though, 10 minutes after he casted out he hooked a nice healthy 5 lb channel. 30 minutes later his bobber goes down again and before he can react, his bait alert goes nuts! The fish took about 20 feet of line in just a few seconds. He sets the hook and the fight is on. I had a feeling it was a nice one by the way it hit initially but I kept on retying my line until I heard this incredible splash 50 yards from where he had originally cast. This fish was HUGE! He fought it for 10 minutes or so when it finally broke off. No way was that fish a channel cat. I am guessing that he had either a large Musky or flathead on. When the fish would take off, he couldn't hold the crank on his pole. (He forgot to turn off the anti reverse) Anyway, that is the only reason the fish could take line at all because he had his drag set as tight as it would go. (He is very new to cat fishing and doesn't know that much about reels, drag, etc.) After the line broke, I inspected the pole and noticed he was using 30 lb test spider wire braid! Wish I would have checked his set up before we started fishing. Shortly after that the lightning started again and the rain set in so we packed up and left. I'd venture to say that he is hooked on seeking out the big ones now! :D

2. jellywormer

jellywormer Waiting for the tap tap.

Hey Fastlane- I was out there at the same time you were. I caught a few small bass and hung my lures in the trees about 6 times. I swear I thought I was losing my depth perception or something. I stopped and said hello to a couple guys in a boat near the large cut across from the marina- was that you by chance? There weren't that many people out there tonight.

3. catking

catking Banned

I've only had a couple fish break me off through the years. One was at Cowan....... :eek: What lurks in that lake :confused: You got that right Tom, that boy is hooked now....CATKING

4. Fastlane

No, JW, I was bank bound over at the camp ground. We were there between 9 and midnight. And King, I guess we will just have to find out. Seems every year someone pulls a 50+ out of Cowan, maybe this year it will be me! LOL

5. catking

catking Banned

"maybe this year it will be me LOL " I'd laugh too Thomas......... :D DA KING !!!

6. Fastlane

Thanks for the vote of confidence King :)

7. Hey Fastlane, what were you using for bait to make you think it may have been a musky? Just courious. I used to fish that spot pretty hard until the sailboaters took over.I see that it is now back to the fisherman. I talked to an old timer there once, and he showed me a picture of him in a news paper holding a 48 LB flathead. He said he caught it on chicken liver.

8. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

To bad, would've like to see DaKing's fish, then again, he'd always chime in how he let you catch it for him ;)
    Sound's like a musky with a jump, or was it just a splash ? You got me "hooked" too ! :eek:

9. mrfishohio

You must've been fishing near here........ :cool:
    [​IMG]

10. mrfishohio

They have removed the sailboats off the point ? If so, is the dock still there?
    [​IMG]

11. mrfishohio

Another view, 2 years ago. 6-8-02, the pictures in the previous posts are from 9-17-00 :eek:
    [​IMG]

12. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Yes the docks are still there. They rebuilt them all this year. :) On farther back in the cove there is a big shallow flat. That would probably be a nice place to catch some cats at night. :)

13. mrfishohio

I didn't want to load up this post with my pictures, so I started a new thread with them. They bring back some fond memories.....Click here to be amazed !

14. catking

catking Banned

In 2002 was indeed a good time. Yes, the lake was un-fishable, but we all had a great weekend :) Many fond memories indeed, but one that stands out is LakeRaiders special "Grits &Ribs " :D The grits being the gritty taste one gets from ribs picked out of hot coals........... :D :D Thanks JimmydaCat. THE CATKING !!!

15. Fastlane

Good call MrFishOhio. We were right between the bouy and ramp. The fish hit on a very large gob of night crawlers. The splash was just that, and not a true jump. I am really leaning toward a large cat most likely a falthead. From what I could see from the beach, you could fish the docks off Quaker Knoll. I couldn't see any gate barriers. That used to be my favorite spot to fish until they did that.