close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cowan bite is hot!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TheKing, May 22, 2007.

1. Went for gills, found a bazillion black crappies in close instead. In close like in 1-2 FOW all over the place on one side of the lake. No big ones for me, but one fisherman has a mess of 12's out in 9 FOW.
    One bass fisherman reported hot action - multiple bass boated in several spots. Some photo-worthy at the marina.
    Those gills are somewhere, but the spots I hit were loaded with crappies today. The only thing they would bite were minnows. Nothing on wax worm, nothing on red worm. But toss a minnow and count for just a few seconds till bobber dunkin' time.

2. traphunter

traphunter Guest

we found the same action early last week but we got into a mess of 8 inch bluegills also.

Now I cant go because I was in that shallow water and hit a submerged stump and lost the propeller on my trolling motor.:(

3. Rob

Rob Crappietracker

We'll be there sometime this weekend. BLACK Crappies huh? Hope to get some nice gills as well. Thanks for the info!

Rob

4. I guess they were black crappies. I only counted 6 dorsal spines and the body shape was that of white crappies. I could be wrong on that call.

5. Rob

Rob Crappietracker

I think we've only caught white Crappies at Cowan. Thats what I get for thinking! You're probably right- I need to step up my fish identification skills! It's looking like we'll be there Sunday evening or Monday.

Tight lines!

Rob

6. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

Have plenty of minnows. To get a keeper, you'll weed through 20 or so 7". But you talk about FUN. Was there fishing in front of the cabins on Sunday. Left at 1:00 and had 13 keepers.

7. I'lll be there in the yak tonight, will post how I do. King, you mind if I ask which side of the lake?

8. catking

catking Banned

DA KING !!! might head up to Cowan in about an hour or so....hey THE KING !!! nice to seeing your post...haven't seen you since the first crappie tourney that this site put on...you remember that cold ,harsh day...LOL....THE CATKING !!!

9. Rob

Rob Crappietracker

BMagill,

I can't speak for The King (Sounds kinda like I'm talking about Elvis huh? LOL) but I'd try the north side, probably from the island to the Dam, but I usually don't make it all the way to the Dam. King, am I close?

Can't wait to get down there!

[​IMG]

Cowan double

Rob

10. All of this talk of great fishing makes me want to head down there and try cowan this weekend.

11. BMagill -
    I don't know that it would have mattered on Tuesday. But I fished the south shore from the sailboat club marina to the public beach. Just about anywhere in close was thick with them on that side. And it sounds like similar action on the cabin shores according to Nightprowler. If they are still biting like Tuesday, it won't take long to find them.

CatKing - I am still frozen ! :D Ooooh man was it cold !

Elvis....er..I mean TheKing

12. Well, I just got back and everything was just as reported. I caught around 50-60 off the yak in 3-1/2 hrs. Used minnows till it started to get a little darker, then switched to a roadrunner and got one just about every cast. Only problem was they were ALL dinks, tried multiple spots and only ended up with one keeper crappie. Did catch 3 channels and a saugeye that will join him in the pan for a mixed bag fry.

Didn't see your response before I left, I caught them all on the North side of the lake east of the island. All the channels came out of the pads, and a few crappie, but it wasn't till I got out of em that it really heated up.