close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cowan 5/27

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Rob, May 27, 2007.

1. Rob

Rob Crappietracker

Water temp was 79 and was it WINDY!!! Lot of people fishing.As King was saying, lots of dinks close to shore. The shore fish were more aggressive than the fish in say....12 feet. still, we didn't do as well as we did 2 weeks ago. Boat control was a real chore. Well, I sure couldn't figure 'em out! How 'bout anyone else?

2. We had a decent day. I went with mind set of fising the shores and shallow water based on previous posts. We caught a few this way but the bite was not as fast as I had hoped. I tried a few other spots and ideas with some success. The kids were ready to swim so we took a break at the beach for awhile. After that we tried a few other spots with limited success. I decided to go back to a small cove just off the main lake and fished about 5 feet of water. There must have been a small weed bed because you would pick up small leaves and moss every now and then. You could catch the crappie by dropping a minnow over the side of the boat. We had best success slow fishing minnows and wax worms without weight or bobber. We caught over 40 fish. All of the crappie were small except one. We caught some nice sized bluegills. They were definately spawning. Females with eggs and the males full of sperm.

Todd

3. Rob

Rob Crappietracker

You definitley did better than us! The Crappie bite was not nearly as aggressive as it has been in the past,at least with our presentations:G . I should have switched to waxworms and tried for gills. :(

Rob

4. The Crappie bite was very soft in my opinion. That is why we switched to minnows with no bobber or weight. A slow retreive and you could detect the bite. The big bull gills put up a great fight in comparison to the sluggish Crappies. The kids had fun and we had a fun day on the lake.

Todd