Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just seeing if anyone on here had covid and if so did you donate your plasma. I looked a the redcross webcite and was reading about donating it, as well as hearing a lot in the news about it helping covid patients. I know that the plasma helped my wife.

I tired to reach out to the red cross but no one seems to answer. It says you have to have actually tested positive for it in order to donate it.

So without getting the thread shut down, I was getting tested every two to three weeks due to working in a high contact environment (a jail) where it was all over in here. Two negative test results. Well I had a headache for 4 days and a stomach issue for 3, well about a week or so later the wife came home from work with what looked like pink eye.

She didn't think anything of it and went to work the next day. She calls me at work on Tuesday saying shes getting a test and feels horrible and cant breath. Well she ended up in the hospital with two positive covid test results. After her second day in there, they give her the antibody plasma. Next day she starts feeling better. Couple days later she gets discharged but ends up back in two days later with residual neurological effects. Cant feel limbs, cant smell, or taste, stumbling around and slurred speech, not to mention the massive headache that comes on every night at between 5-7.

I go get tested again, once right after I found out she had it and once before our baby came home and me going back to work. Both results comes back negative.

So I go to the family dr and tell them whats up. They run an antibody test, a 10min test comes back in 2 min as positive for both types of the covid antibodies. CDC tracer makes contact with wife and me. Even thought ive tested negative on 4 tests they are listing me as a probable case, due to headache, dry cough and upset stomach.

My wife being an RN in a Covid unit starts asking questions. CDC said that because I had G.I. issues and the headache that, that's the reason why I have the antibodies. They say that G.I. cases of covid don't usually test positive on the nasal swab test unless the symptoms worsen and make it to the respiratory system.

So wife tells me that she believes the antibodies are what really saved her. I would like to donate my plasma to help others but it says I must have a positive covid test to do so. Of course no answer at the red cross to explain to them all this so I could get an answer. Anyone else have the same issues, tried to donate or work for the red cross that could give an answer or input>?

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Just had a blood drive at our church. I know before giving they test you for covid but I think its just to make sure you're not contagious. Not sure.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Get the results your Dr. has and hit a blood drive. Or your Dr. can possibly get you a contact

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Wish I could donate but like many others we are banned for life from donating because we were stationed in Europe during the 80's and early 90's. They are afraid we might have Mad Cow Disease.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have been donating plasma twice a week for 2 years and tested positive for COVID at the beginning of April. As soon as I was able to go back to donating I did and have been donating the antibodies for a couple months now. I did have to produce a positive test result from my Dr. to be eligible. If you want to PM me I can give you the info about the place I donate.

·
Just practicing my cast
5,307 Posts
Wish I could donate but like many others we are banned for life from donating because we were stationed in Europe during the 80's and early 90's. They are afraid we might have Mad Cow Disease.
You do have it and we can tell :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Hatchetman

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thought the Red Cross wanted people with antibodies to donate as often as possible? Kroger pharmacies are testing for $25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I give blood regularly and get covid test results back from red cross all have been negative, they test the blood given, only take your temperature going in and if I ever test positive for the antibodies would go back as soon as I could to donate that
I pre do the rapid pass questionnaire the day of, to speed up the process

1 - 9 of 9 Posts