Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting back into steel heading after not doing it for 4 years or so, so I decided I should take advantage of my bass pro discount and I'm going to get all new gear. Anyway, bass pro doesn't have specific "wading" jackets but their goretex jackets look like they can get the job done, do you agree?

http://m.basspro.com/Clothing-Men-s...1z0ustk?Nh=4294535528&T=Rain+Gear&tab=browse#

That link is bass pros rainwear, I would like to stay with ascend, bass pro, or redhead since my discount is greatest with them.

Then there is the waders, the waders I used to use were real heavy and constricting and not breathable at all. I am wondering if you can use breathable waders all season as long as you layer correctly underneath with fleece and what not?

http://m.basspro.com/_/N-?Ntt=Waders&x=19&y=5&tab=search&Nty=1#

This is the wader specific page at bass pro and if possible I would like to use white river or even redhead for my discount. White rivers waders seem nice and it would be the best bang for my buck which can really increase my spending on waders. I can look at 200 and up for white river while with Simms I only want to do like 130. Also when it comes to boots I think I'm going with the ascend boots that are 99.99.

I know this is a lot of typing but this time I'm not gonna do all the shopping myself!

Thanks!

Josh

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
834 Posts
I use breathables all winter long. I see no need to go a size larger but I'm already at a stout! Layer as much as you want just don't buy cotton!

Bass Pro doesn't make a wading jacket? Looks like a non insulated shell would work. Just another reason I hate bass pro. Their selection is horrible. Just don't get an insulated jacket!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I wear breathable stocking foot waders all year long and layer under them depending on the temperatures. Will never wear neoprene ones again.

My suggestion if you need layers for underneath, go the your local Salvation Army/Goodwill store and buy a couple pairs of polyester sweat pants in various weights to layer. Even if your warm in them and sweat they will dry very quickly once your done fishing for the day. For $10 to $15 you should be able to get 2 or 3 different weights. In the middle of winter I am comfortable with one real heavy pair underneath as long as I do a little wading. If you fish one hole all day just bundle up and you should still be OK.

While you are checking them sweatpants out you could also see if they have wading jackets that will fit you. I have found 2 very good quality ones there in the past 2 or 3 years. The sizes didn't fit me but I sold them on ebay and made some money

One other thing I will never buy again is boot foot waders. I got a leak in the boot part several years ago and could never find the leak. At least with stocking feet ones the leaks you are guaranteed to get can be found and patched.

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
You'll need a lot of hooks and a fly rod. Even if they don't bite your offerings you'll snag them easily which is what most fly fishing steelhead fishermen are doing these days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts