close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

couple of legal/ethical gmr questions

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by chrsvic, Sep 1, 2008.

1. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Couple of maybe off-the-wall questions:

1) What do you think of clearing away brush to get access to a good fishing hole? If you're fishing a stretch of river that is clearly public land, what would the harm be in using a pair of loppers to cut down a few honeysuckle?

2) What about parking along the road to fish? I'd like to park along the road in-between bridges to get closer access, but would the Miami Cty sheriff ticket my vehicle as abandoned, or have it towed?

I don't want to find out the answers the hard way!

2. I'm not sure about #1, but as for parking along the road, that's generally okay. Deputies and Troopers may stop and check the vehicle and they may even leave an orange sticker on it warning you to move it before 72 hours. As long as it isn't creating a traffic hazard of some sort, and as long as it has a valid registration, they won't tow it.

3. TeamPlaker

TeamPlaker Fishing Deadbeat

Honeysuckle is a nuisance species... however, if the public place is a park, you are not supposed to "disturb" the wildlife and that includes plants/trees. I can't imagine park officials getting upset about cutting it down though... I used to work for a park and we'd spend hours cutting it down. To be on the safe side, I'd leave it be.... maybe snap off a few limbs when no one's looking. :)

4. wader

wader Fishing Fool

I think parking along the road is a fairly common practice, and most L.E. know whats going on. As far as honeysuckle goes, that stuff grows back pretty quick. I carry pruners with me whenever I am walking banks in new places.

5. i carry a good Machette, blame the damage on the beavers!;) as far as parking, if it isnt posted "no parking" then its fair game to me. i also keep a printed out notice i put in my window at unfamiliar spots with a notice stating "i am parked there for river access and/or fishing purposes, if there is any problems call my cell #....") also on there i leave my cell #, as well as my drivers lisc and fishing lisc numbers on it.

6. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Thanks, all good advice.

I think if i practice "minimal impact" in my trimming and be careful where i park, leave a note, etc., i should be good to go.

It would be cool if someone could train the beavers to feed on honeysuckle.