close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Count Down

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big black jeep, May 22, 2005.

1. Is there any ratio for the weight of jigs and how fast they will drop? an example is 1/16 will drop 1 foot a second. Thanks phil

2. I heard Joe Bucher talk once about a technique he called countdown bucktails that sounds similar to what you want. What he would do is toss a bucktail and count it down till it his bottom (one mississippi, two mississippi). Since he knew the depth of the water he was fishing, he used the number of seconds it took to hit bottom to calculate the fall rate for a given bait. Using that rate he would count down his bucktails to fish tham at whatever depth in the water column the fish were at.

Barry

3. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

I always read that 1/2oz falls 1 foot per second.

4. I think that is a tough thing to put a single number to for drop rate. The jig design and trailer, tube, etc. will vary. Some jigs and tubes are more bouyant than others. Then you throw in the variable of the line properties. Monofilament is less bouyant than the braids. And flourocarbon are less bouyant than mono. I think Blance's suggestion is the good and it is one that I do at times. I will often use the countdown method to find the drop rate for that given setup and then use it to get my desired depth.

5. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I think its impossible to make a genaric drop ratio. It will vary bait to bait, just like bkr43050 said.