Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NormD and I went out Saturday out of Meinke's West. 12 1/2 miles out at 60*. Started out casting harnesses, but nothing. Got out the trolling gear and picked up one real quick. (Monkey Shine, 20 jet, 70 back) Then the trouble started.

1) Lost a jet and a spoon evading a troller crossing my path. He was ahead of me and cut to port without looking. He was trolling with big boards. I also have to remove my prop now as there is fishing line wrapped around the shaft! :mad:

2) Lost a 0 dypsie and another spoon along with an amish drift bag. :mad: :mad: :mad: A troller in a Bayliner Ski boat rigged with big boards set out about 100ft, ran up from BEHIND me as I was attempting to set a drift bag out to slow our troll further down. His starboard board comes within 5 feet of my stern and takes my outer line with it. My first reaction was to grab the pole as he was about to snap it. In the rush, I dropped the bag line which was not totally secure. It sunk before I could do anything. Then the idiot looks at me like I did something wrong. :mad: :mad:

And people wander why somebody wants to put a hole in anothers boat. [email protected] :mad:

In frustration I pulled the rest of the lines and moved to a piece of water not cluttered. Norm started casting and Boom! Fish on!... minute later... Fish on! So I stowed the trolling rods and joined him. We picked up 8 keepers in a short period of time before the wind died and the lake went flat. After that it was trash fish. We used Gold harneses and then I switched to a green Erie Dearie. Picked up one off of that. First fish I 've caught on that in years!

·
Registered
371 Posts
i have noticed that people here on the west end have a lot of learning to do when it comes to trolling. never seen so many inconsiderate people then they look at you like you are the idiot. you have about 1/10th of the problems and twice the trollers in the central basin.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
NormD and I went out Saturday out of Meinke's West. 12 1/2 miles out at 60*. Started out casting harnesses, but nothing. Got out the trolling gear and picked up one real quick. (Monkey Shine, 20 jet, 70 back) Then the trouble started.

1) Lost a jet and a spoon evading a troller crossing my path. He was ahead of me and cut to port without looking. He was trolling with big boards. I also have to remove my prop now as there is fishing line wrapped around the shaft! :mad:

2) Lost a 0 dypsie and another spoon along with an amish drift bag. :mad: :mad: :mad: A troller in a Bayliner Ski boat rigged with big boards set out about 100ft, ran up from BEHIND me as I was attempting to set a drift bag out to slow our troll further down. His starboard board comes within 5 feet of my stern and takes my outer line with it. My first reaction was to grab the pole as he was about to snap it. In the rush, I dropped the bag line which was not totally secure. It sunk before I could do anything. Then the idiot looks at me like I did something wrong. :mad: :mad:

And people wander why somebody wants to put a hole in anothers boat. [email protected] :mad:

In frustration I pulled the rest of the lines and moved to a piece of water not cluttered. Norm started casting and Boom! Fish on!... minute later... Fish on! So I stowed the trolling rods and joined him. We picked up 8 keepers in a short period of time before the wind died and the lake went flat. After that it was trash fish. We used Gold harneses and then I switched to a green Erie Dearie. Picked up one off of that. First fish I 've caught on that in years!

Dispite the antics of other "trollers" I had a great time gettin into some with you KaGee. I appreciate the offer to go out on your boat. Hope we can do it again sometime. "Hook-N-Book" it was good to hear from you out on the water as well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
sorry about your loss! We had that last year in the east too guys driving along looking back at the rods. They didn't even look who was in front !

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
i have noticed that people here on the west end have a lot of learning to do when it comes to trolling. never seen so many inconsiderate people then they look at you like you are the idiot. you have about 1/10th of the problems and twice the trollers in the central basin.
Well, I'll tell ya...I have fished both the west and central basin for years and believe me...there's inexperienced and inconsiderate folks all over that lake. As far as numbers go...there was literally a small city of boats northeast of west sister on Saturday. I'm guessing thousand boats just in that area alone.

KaGee,
You might want to consider adding a small bouy to you drift bag line. I learned this one the hard way. :D
Had I known you guys were out there I could have given you some info since we were on a very active school of fish. We were done with three tickets in just under 3 hours of fishing that morning.

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
sorry about your loss! We had that last year in the east too guys driving along looking back at the rods. They didn't even look who was in front !
That's why I added a set of air horns a few years back...it will really get an inattentive persons attention...! :D

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I feel your pain KaGee. Weekends are by far the worst days for idiot trollers I've thrown more F-Bombs on my boat on the weekends than I care to think about due to inconsiderate or just plain ignorant people.I guess I've been luckey this year as I really haven't run into any problems with other guys,everyone has been good about giving and taking (knock on wood ) I really try to stay clear of the big packs but so many times they are strung out so far you can't avoid the boats. I hope your next trip is a lot more stress-free !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts