close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Corned Venison

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by Nailer639, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Did anyone try the Corned Venison recipe that was in the Ohio Outdoor News?

2. I did not see it but I have used a recipe in one of my game cookbooks. It used tender quick from Mortens and pickling spices and a few other odds and ends for the brine. Brined 5 days and rinsed well, cover in pot bring to simmmer, drain and replace water and the simmer until done.

Made some killer sandwiches.....

3. I just tried a few pieces fresh out of the pressure cooker and it's salty. And I love salty food but this is on a whole new level of salty. I'm going to cut the canning salt in half or totally eliminate it on the next batch.

Awesome taste though.:)

4. Before you run it in the pressure cooker, put it in a pot and cover with cold water and bring to a simmer then drain and do it again with fresh water. Also rinse the roast prior to putting on stove.

I have never had to pressure cook one. On the second simmer, just cook until tender. You can either take it out and cool and slice or add taters, carrots, cabbage, etc....

Never had an ssue with too much salt and I am not a guy who likes a bunch of salt.

5. I did rinse it twice with cold water before I put it in the cooker. I was thinking next time maybe soaking it in fresh water overnight before cooking it.
    This recipe calls for pieces of meat no bigger than 2 inches square.That could be the reason why it was so salty...more surface area to soak up the brine? Thanks for the input beatsworkin.

6. this sounds awesome!!!!!!! I am butchering 2 deer tomorrow and this sounds like a good way to use a roast.. would anyone like to share their recipe?

7. The recipe I used from the Outdoor News calls for cubed/stew meat.

8. thanx nailer... I made it a few years ago with goose breasts... but I lost the recipe... It did come out really salty but I didnt do the simmer and rinse like Eric (beatsworking) said.... hopeully he will chime in with his recipe as he sounds like quite the cook:)

9. I will try and remember to post the recipe tonight. Nailer, it is a rinse and then cover with cold water and bring to a simmer and then drain the water and then cover again and bring back to a simmer. You mentioned 2 rinses, it is that first simmer that really helps on the excess salt.

The book that the reicpe comes from is this:

http://www.northerntrailspress.com/prepare.htm

The summer sausage I make is in here and a bunch of other interesting recipes and techniques. Might make a good Xmas gift to add to you lists!!

10. Don't leave us hangin'! I've been drooling all over for days waiting for that recipe. I have a roast that is destined to be corned!!

11. Sorry guys, I will post it tonight!

12. Here you go:

2 to 3 pound roast, I use round roast off the back leg, need to be no more than 2 inches thick. You can use a boneless shoulder but it will be tougher.

2 quarts spring water or distilled
    1/2 cup canning and pickling salt
    1/2 cup morten tender quick
    3 tablespoons sugar, I use brown sugar
    2 tbsp mixed pickling spices
    2 bay leaves
    8 whole black peppercorns
    1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced.

Mix all ingredients except meat in enamel or glass pan and heat just enough to dissolve all the salt and sugar, remove from heat and allow to cool. Place the meat in an enamel or another non reactive bowl or a gallon zip lock bag. Pour cooled brine over meat. Keep in fridge for 4 to 5 days, turning occasionally. Remove from brine, rinse well with cold water.

Place roast in large pot and cover with cold water, heat to boiling, then drain. Cover again with cold water and heat to boiling then reduce heat and simmer until tender, 3.5 to 4.5 hours.

I usually do this for sandwich meat but I like corned beef and cabbage. If you want to do it that way then toss in some carrots at about 2.5 hours then cabbage and taters at about 3 hours and cook until they are tender.

Recipe from "Preparing fish and Wild Game", Creative Publishing.

Eric

13. Thanx Eric... you are the man!!!!!!!!! One ? what is the difference between canning salt and table salt? I have everything except the canning salt.. can I just use table salt?

14. Ahhh thank you! The process will start tonight. Thanks, man.

15. Scott and Auglaizewader- you are welcome and sorry for the delay!

The canning salt is pure salt, no additives. Regular table salt has some additives that can react with the other ingredients, namely in the Mortens, to cause flavor and discoloration issues. Same reason you should use pure sping water or distilled and not tap water.

You can pick some up at Krogers in the canning supply section, if not in the spice aisle. It is usually in a 1 to 2 pound box.

I think I will start some tonight as well, I might actually have time to hit the geese next week, assuming I still don't have a deer tag to fill after this weekend!

16. It comes out of the bag tomorrow!! I am having a hard time waiting!!! The smell of the mixture was really good. Thx

17. I plan on doing some starting on Sunday...

I have a turkey and pork loin to smoke for Saturday's wife's family gathering. Have my family tomorrow night and Xmas day so the fridge is really groaning! Chicken enchiladas, beef tamales and other southwestern goodies.

Are you using yours for sandwiches or doing the corned beef and cabbage? I like reubens......

18. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Banned

Canning salt is a fancy and more expensive version of "Plain Salt". Table salt has one ingredient that ruins canned or smoked foods....it's iodine. Any grocery store will have plain salt, make sure it says does not supply daily dose of iodine or whatever the verbiage is. You don't need canning or kosher salt, just one without iodine!

19. True, but also one without any other anti-caking or flow agents. Most non iodized and iodized table salts are not 100% pure salt. Those other additives will not cause the metallic taste and severe discoloration of iodized salt but they still can make pickling and brining solutions cloudy and discolored.

Kosher has less sodium per volume than canning and table salt, so you need to use more for recipes. A 2.5 pound box of diamond crystal should be around 5 bucks, or less. Woth a few cents more to make sure the food comes out like I want it to.

Because of the need to measure more out, I do not use kosher for brine solutions, but will use it to dry cure as it is more effective than the other salts do to the grain size.

20. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Banned

I believe the only difference between the two is the size of the grains. True, the additives are used to keep the table salt small and from clumping so it shakes, but other than that, they taste and functions exactly the same; not enough to make a difference in anything I've ever done at least. Some table salts do bear the Rabinical mark or whatever it's called and is also Kosher despite the additives.