close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cormorant WARNING!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Portage Lakes, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Portage Lakes

Portage Lakes OGF Member

The Portage Lakes are now infested with Cormorants!!! The north end of West Reservior has a island with over 100 birds and they are moving out in all directions from there. The north end of West Reservior use to be loaded with huge Redears but so far this year not one fish of any kind have been caught in this area. Yesterday watching in horror a friend and I were standing by a small dock area looking at the Cormorants and a group of 8-10 small Bluegill moved out from the dock into the open bay and no less then 20 Cormorants left the trees and swooped in and ate every one of those Bluegills. I was SHOCKED at how agressive these birds are and that they are AMAZING and I say AMAZING swimers under water. Those Bluegills never had a chance. The Cormorants are not afraid of people in any way as this all happened only yards away from us.

I am on my way over to the Division Three headquarters right now to ask that something be done to get rid of these birds. I have found some great documentation from the New York Department of Environment Conservation that I am taking with me that talks about how bad these birds are for fish populations. They said 24,000 birds ate 87.5 million fish in one year (I think that is 10 or 11 fish a day per bird). The average length of the fish eaten was 10.1 inches. The fish populations in Eastern Lake Ontario are at all time record lows because of these birds and to make things worse the Cormorant populations are growing every year!!!

These birds will spread to EVERY lake in the state if we don't do something about them.

Portage Lakes........

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

yep,they are what you see at alum,and i'm seeing more and more of them at hoover also :mad:

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

Moagadore has had them for 4 years now and i saw them at pymatuning also this year

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Saw them flying down the Ohio River too.......

5. catking

catking Banned

Is this migration something new? Is it like the Canadian geese migration over the last 20 years or so? I wonder why now? CATKING

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Long live the cormorant!

They were here first :p

I admit thought it does appear as if the cormorants are getting a bit out of control :)

7. If I Had Near My House I Would Poison Every One Of Em..they R Outa Hand.......

8. Went out to Marblehead last weekend , & as we were driving down Bay Shore rd. my brother said "look at all the ducks" They're were literally thousands of them. However on closer observation they were all comorants. These birds are definately out of control and something needs to be done soon. They will destroy all small island vegetation within weeks from they're droppings, & eat tons of fish, yet you are not allowed to kill them?

9. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

they seemed to be out in force at the east harbor
    last week end.but stayed farther out.they are infesting
    the portage lakes,and the tusc river dam area by the
    golf corse(always been bad here).but one thing they
    do is stir the bottom up a bit,which in turn stirs the
    carp up ;) and gets them feeding.a fact you can believe
    or disbelieve if you want,is that i have and have seen
    people get instant carp runs after a cormornat has
    just surfaced near a bait.they also stir up those gulls
    as well. :eek:

10. Talked to my dad in florida says they are all over the place down there also :mad:

11. The cors are nothing new at Port lakes. Their numbers have been out of control for sometime now and it's gets worse every year. North res has been virtually barren for sometime now. It's generally shallower and so the cors have been focusing on it for several years. That's why the nests had been established at west res island just across the street They like those tall poplars. Several years ago I stopped on that island to whiz and wondered what all the dusty stuff coating the plants was. Thought maybe some insecticide or fungus or something. I narrowly escaped getting bombed with a load of cormorant boo as I was getting back in the boat. Then I realised what all the dust I'd breathed in was. Bleah. I can't think of even one redeeming factor for cors. At least mosquitos feed the fish, bats, and birds. Just what good is a cormorant? They swim better than fish. I've seen them surface with very much alive 10 inch golden shiners in their beaks at Mog and Rockwell. I've a feeling that the anti's will let nature do what they can't. The lackadaisical attitude of the Fed and local dnr types seem to reflect this. There is to much preservationist/restoration type stuff going on.
    Who gives a rats arse if we got tundra swans, ospreys, eagles, otters, beaver, turkey, bears, and on and on and on? Not me.

12. Wow! Thats a pretty strong statement Mr. C. :) Biodiversity is essential for numerous reasons and ecosystems including our own depend on a multitude of species. Those preservationist/ restoration types didn't go to school to learn nothing. ;)

Don't worry the food chain is boom and bust. Sounds like they are doing well, and will eat themselves into a bust cycle in the not too distant future. :rolleyes:

Might I suggest that humans are on their boom too? :eek: :)

13. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

They are even here in Columbus at Griggs, O'Shaugnessy even the river. In canada they have been a real problem for years. TheMNR there tried to oil their eggs to slow the rebirth rate but I swear we have more now than before. They are a fish eating machine!! They say they eat 2 time their weight a day in small fish, bass, minnows and almost any fry. Canada is really working on way to thin them out. I think they are sending them our way.

14. Points well taken but I simply don't see where the aforementioned species are essential. Maybe nice to look at but we got by just fine without them for a long time. If they came back on their own without our help, fine. But whats the use of tagging eagles, building special osprey nests, reintroducing otters, etc. Basically all that does is provide the same people who advocate restoration with a cushy job-at taxpayer expense, just so somebody can see an osprey. Big deal. Most would't know an osprey from Mt. Rushmore anyway. Once those things get a foothold they'll start to hammer the fish we pay to stock. So we gotta pay somebody to drive around in a truck all day, as well as the truck, to record data, take pictures, make progress reports, and evaluation/feasibility studies on a bird we end up paying to feed.
    Same with otters. Once they get a foothold they'll be ahammerin' the steelhead, which I'll admit would be no huge loss but nonetheless it cost a pile to stock 'em. So I guess the point is where do we draw the line? The way I see it, if the critter can get going on it's own, like coyotes for example, fine. If not, that's fine too. Let's just hope they don't decide we need more grizzlies or diamond backs as well. :eek:

15. Im No Expert But What I Can Say Is Theres Eagles And Ospreys In Places That Still Has A Lot Of Fish..cormorants Might Be A Different Story....

16. It's true that eagles and osprey in their current numbers are no threat to local fisheries. Mainly because eagles are primarily scavengers and osprey are scarce. In some areas of the country osprey area a serious problem for fish farmers and hatcheries.

17. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

Eagle - National Bird - I dont mind $ being spent to help them...

Osprey - (heck, all birds of prey - which are protected) I like seeing all these birds survive.....

on the drive home from work everyday I spot at least 1-3 birds of prey.... the other day I saw the remnents of a Red-tailed hawk that probably got plowed by a semi.... judging by its size it was probably a female.... 1-2 less red-tails brooded this year....

Long live birds of prey.... they are enjoyable to spot/watch ...
    :)

OK - back to Cormorants

18. mr. c

laughing my butt off, say that right after complaining about them eating the precious stocked fish, maybe if it weren't for the huge amount of artifical stocking thats going on, maybe the NATIVE birds population wouldn't explode.

anyone have the numbers of fish stocked in the lakes you guys are worried about? Not saying that the cormorants are bad, but gotta look at more than just what you think is the problem.

J

19. Historically, human activities have been the primary cause of cormorant population fluctuations, including the current population resurgence. Most notable has been the rise and fall of persistent pesticides in the environment, the protection afforded the species, and the recent increase of the food base on the wintering grounds provided by southern aquaculture. Although it is impossible to accurately predict future trends in cormorant populations, there is little evidence that populations will decline markedly without human intervention. Density-dependent factors could lead to eventual stabilization of the population, albeit at a high level. This has been demonstrated, in part, through population modeling of the great cormorant populations in Europe (Bregenballe et al. 1997). In North America, density dependent factors might limit the size of some individual breeding colonies, but available breeding habitat for further colonization remains abundant (Hatch and Weseloh 1998). Prey can become depleted for individual cormorant breeding colonies (Birt et al. 1987; Hatch and Weseloh 1998), but range-wide reduction in the availability of prey is unlikely. Although epizootic diseases may help regulate localized populations, additional research is needed to clarify the potential for diseases to limit population growth throughout the entire range. Recent outbreaks of Newcastle's disease (avian paramyxovirus) may have slowed the growth of some established breeding colonies (Hatch 1995); however, no viable cultures were isolated from exposed birds (M. Avery, NWRC, per. commun.) even though more than half of the wintering birds examined in a recent ongoing study had been exposed to this disease organism.

from

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ws/nwrc/is/cormorant_inititive.html

J