close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cork handle cleaning???

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Fatbass, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Alright guys and gals lay it on me....how the heck do I get those cork handles clean? I even tried to explain to my old lady that because they were dirty, they didn't work properly and I had to buy new ones...that one went over like a lead balloon! Just wondering if there is some kind of new trick I haven't heard about out there! Thanks for any and all the help! :)

2. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

Good old rubbing alcohol and a rag.
    Cleans it as good as new in no time. :)

3. Sorry man they will never get clean :(
    but I'll take them off your hands if the price is right ;)
    then you can go buy new ones :D

4. Dishwashing soap, warm water, and a pot scrubber pad. Cleans them just like new.

5. Yep, Like Leeabu said dishwashing soap.
    Dawn if you have it works the best.

6. atrkyhntr,
    I expected you to come up with something like ....wash your dirty hands....lol.

7. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I own 90% cork handle rods, Smallieguy is correct..its the only way ive found to get them as clean as they will get.

Scott

8. lg_mouth

lg_mouth It's Trigger Time!!!

Those 3 work the best for me!

lg_mouth
    Luke 1:49

9. Why exactly do you guys need to clean your grips? What are you doing with them? Nearly all my rods are corked gripped and i've never once felt the need to clean the grip.

I think a well used cork grip that turns that great brown color is beautiful

Just my 2 cents, if you are going to clean them, i might suggest investing in some cork preserver. It'll toughin up the cork and make it more stain resistant.

J

10. Apply a good coat of clear schellac on them when bought new or after cleaning them.

11. I've had good results just sanding em with some fine grit sand paper.

12. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

blocker,
    Im not sure about the other guys, but i like to keep my rods looking good and in great shape to last me many years of happy service. Im looking at my rod racks and im counting 25+ rods that are of high quality and sporting good looking cork handles...i take good care of them, they take good care of me. Also when spending $100 avg. (some $300+ ea.)on rods, i dont like them looking "junky" after a long week of hard fishing . Same goes for reels...

"To each is own"

Scott

13. Thanks for all the tips on the hadles guys! I went with the rubbing alcohol and it worked great! They are as good as new. I have to agree with RiverRat on this one...I spend too much money on my rigs and I like to keep them looking good. I wash my truck when it gets dirty so why not my poles!? Thanks again for all the tips!