close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cookin' Catfish

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by lucky1, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Lets hear some of your favorite recipes, and ways to clean them!! :)

2. Cleaning-same way you fillet & skin anything else.

Cooking:

1) Deep fry. Coat with a mixture 2 parts dry golden dipt fish fry to 1 part corn meal. Fry for 7 minutes. Very important..Catfish must be cooked longer than normal white fish like walleye, cod etc because it is a denser fish. If you do not cook it long enough, you will have a yucky catfishy taste. I fry my walleye 5 minutes-catfish 7.

2) Oven Blackened:Heat oven to 450. Put one tablespoon vegetable oil in iron skillet on top of stove, heat oil to starting to smoke. Put unseasoned catfish fillet in skillet rib side down. Turn after 2 minutes. Season top liberally (heavily) with cajun blackened seasoning-try not to get too much seasoning off the filet in the hot skillet. Cook another 60 seconds and put skillet in oven. Let cook till done (another 7-9 minutes). Squeeze fresh lemon over it. Excellent!

Jim

3. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

Ingredients:
    2/3 cup lightly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
    3 tablespoons drained capers
    1 clove garlic
    4 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon anchovy paste
    1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    Fresh-groud black pepper
    8 tablespoons olive oil
    1 pound small new potatoes (about 6), quartered, or boiling potatoes (about 3), cut into 1-inch chunks
    4 catfish fillets, about 1/2 inch thick (about 2 pounds in all)

Preparation:
    Put the parsley, capers, garlic, lemon juice, anchovy paste, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a blender. Pulse to chop. With the machine running, add 7 tablespoons of the oil in a thin stream to make a smooth puree.Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan of salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.Light the grill or heat the broiler. Coat the fish with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Grill or broil the fish for 3 minutes. Turn and cook until just done, 3 to 4 minutes longer.TO SERVE:Drizzle some of the salsa verde over the fish and potatoes. Serve the remaining salsa verde alongside.FISH ALTERNATIVES :In place of the catfish, you can use bluegill,perch, or crappie—really almost any fish you can grill.

4. Lou

Lou

Cleaning:

First, I give them a sharp whack on the head with a club.
    Then I clamp the fish on the board belly down.
    Now I find the first indent in between the skull and the dorsal where the skull meets the flesh. I cut the skin around the girth beginning at the indent down behind the pectoral fin and up the other side.
    Now, I get two needle nose pliers and insert them under the skin on each side of the dorsal and simply pull the skin off the entire length of the fish. Then I cut out the fillet or leave it butterflied depending on the size of the fish.

Cooking:

Give it to the wife.
    One time I brought home an early spring catch of crappie and she made some kind of chowder from them. I asked her where she got the recipe and she told me, "Out of one of you In-Fisherman magazines."

5. Lou I love the way you cook your catch.