Controvesy: The Mud Puppy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cmiller, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Yes it is

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. No, it is not.

29 vote(s)
    76.3%
  3. I'd Like to know myself too.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok guys. I have been told by many different people that Mud Puppy is poisonous and some say it isn't.

2. No but I wouldn't eat one..........

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

nope.never heard that before.

4. I kinda find it funny. This is NOT for eating. I was told that thier bite is poisonous if they bit you.

5. I have heard that they are and that they arent! Doesnt matter we always run a stick through there head and toss them in the fire!

6. jimofcfd

jimofcfd Member

Mud Puppies are not poisonous but their mouth is full of nasty bacteria that could give you a serious infection if it did bite you and broke the skin.

7. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

jimofcd got it right I think, as did bigcatdaddy with the stick idea.

8. Anybody that would needlessly kill such a neat amphibian is not a sportsman and does not deserve fishing privileges. Salamanders, newts, frogs, and other amphibians are in big trouble all over yet ignorant people think jamming a stick in their heads and throwing them into a fire makes sense. I have accidently caught them up to 15" and I always carefully release them after marveling at such a magnificent amphibian denizen of our state.

9. How do you accidentally catch them? Is that the way you catch your fish? Accidentally!!! Oh and by the way you think im ignorant,:p do some research and find out what there main source of food is during any fish spawn in rivers! They arent neat they are ugly, nasty, and just a down right pain!!@ I have also seen them up to 7 or 8 lbs from the licking river, stuffed to the gills with fish eggs! So if i have to pick between seeing a flatheads egg sack surving or one of these nasty mud puppies surving, i will put a stick through there nasty heads everytime i catch one!

10. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

As the name implies, mudpuppy's (Necturus maculosus) prefer a habitat of deep, muddy water in large rivers, streams and ponds. They are nocturnal. For these reasons, they are rarely seen. If you were to see a mudpuppy, it would make quite an impression. It has a broad, flat head, square nose and very small eyes. The most noticeable features are the red bushy gills on both sides of its neck. Gills are normally found on larval forms of amphibians, but the adult mudpuppy keeps these gills.

Like the hellbender, their looks are deceiving. Mud puppies are harmless.

Mudpuppies breed from April to June, producing 30 - 190 eggs during the season. The eggs hatch and the larvae remain in the water, feeding on small invertebrates. This larval phase may last weeks or up to 2-3 years before they metamorphose into adults. Adults reach a length of 8 - 18 inches and feed on crayfish, snails, small fish and worms.

11. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

BCD, I have read many, MANY of Master Anglers post on here. I have never met him and I will add that he comes across quite harsh at times. I will say though that he is dead on in saying you are not a sportsman. In fact I would go as far as saying that you are a FREAKING IDIOT for even suggesting to do what you said to ANY animal.

Mud puppies are NOT going to adversely affect any population of a fish species.

12. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

Ignorance is bliss......;)

13. lol! You are an idiot then! This is my opinion, i am not an expert just smart enough to make a judgement well that you are an idiot!:S

14. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

whoa some strong words in this thread!

I believe that since mud puppys are naturally occurring in our rivers, and not an invasive species, they should probably be released to do their thing. They are part of the whole circle of life (cue lion king music!) in the river and should be treated as such. I am sure all kinds of animals/critters eat fish eggs, but up until humans came around all those fish having their eggs eaten were doing just fine ;)

15. You guys have your opinions and i have mine! I am a firm believer of catch and release! The 67 lb blue i caught got his picture taken and he was quickly released, as well as any other fish i catch ( except for a big ole large mouth bass)! Just the mud puppies are nasty creatures and that was what we did when we caught one! I will leave it at that! Doesnt change anything though i will kill every one i catch!

16. bucky

bucky

yep circle of life thing. ya never know, you eliminate them and then you have some other problem. especially when it is an indigenous species.

i read that they are a good stream/river quality indicator.

ive heard that they are nasty biters, at least with hellbender. the difference between a hellbender and a mudpuppies is the external gills

17. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

So does anyone know how flathead catfish survived all these millions of years without some heroic sportsman to come along and kill these nasty salamanders?

18. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

no matter your opinion on the matter,keep the name calling out of the discussion.if you can't discuss/debate the issue without going that route,do not bother.

19. vkutsch

vkutsch You scratched my anchor!

I agree with BCD. In fact, I got so P.O.'d watching some bald eagles plucking fish out of the water, I climbed up to their nests and bashed their skulls in and fried up the eggs for a tasty breakfast.

20. Yea, Misfit! I'm fairly new to the forum, but I've frequently observed that the more blustery, macho posters, on EITHER side of an issue display the least amount of information in their personal profiles. I know its not fair to generalize, but there seems to be a trend. BTW, I kinda agree with the mudpuppy-huggers in this debate, but I haven't always been that way....with the rationale of "protecting game" we used to shoot "feral cats" while rabbit hunting, some of which probably weren't very feral, but that's been 50 years ago. Though there was probably SOME validity for excusing it, I still feel a twinge of guilt when I think about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.