close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Controversial fishing topics

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rooster, May 24, 2005.

1. There are numerous “controversial” fishing topics that re-occur on all fishing message boards (not limited to OGF). Most people that fish enough to be interested in reading a message board probably have already formed an opinion on one or all of these topics. Further, the opinions range to both extremes and everything in between among different members. Now, when the topic is broached, the initial poster does not usually receive grief from the powers that be (excluding blatant trolls), ditto to the people that post in agreement, but those members that have a different opinion do receive grief. In my OPINION (there is that ugly word), the topic starter is just as guilty of “starting trouble” or being negative. That is, if you express positive feelings about some topic that has negative connotations for others…. Wouldn’t this be considered as being negative from that perspective? Yea, that last part hurts my head too!

Anyway, here is my idea… well, not really mine….I think that someone else had this idea a few days/weeks ago? Why not just treat the words or phrases related to the controversial topics as profanity. That is, filter these words, and replace them with nonsense words?

For example:

Paylakes would be shown as: Jellybeans
    Bow fishing could be shown as: dead battery
    C&R = ants
    Bed Fishing = pretty flowers
    Keeping large numbers of panfish = the cow flew over the moon

This would eliminate the possibility of any negativity, and stop those “trouble starting” members dead in their tracks!

Who is going to argue about the need to practice ants instead of the cow flew over the moon at jellybeans? Well, maybe me, but nobody else!

PLEASE! PLEASE! Do not use this post as a springboard to discuss any controversial topics!

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

But OGF doesnt have a word filter program

3. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Yeah, but if we all know what is controvercial, why bother with all the "cowpies"? It just rubs everyone funny and let's face it, we are all pretty much the same. We put our pants on the same as anyone else, one leg at a time. ;)

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

yeah,but it just takes some of us a lot longer :rolleyes:
    by the time i get mine on,it's time to take them off again :eek:

5. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

when i see those topics started in threads i usually just read them but seldom reply to them(unless it's a michigan fan who's bashing ohio state!,i gotta draw the line somewhere :D ).
    but i've got that "live and let live" attitude so i've never really cared about what species of fish someone deems fit for their table or how they caught it or how many they caught.....as long as it's been done legally.
    life's too short to worry about those kind of things.

6. Had my good laugh for the day. Thanks Rooster :p

Steve

7. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I used to get all upset over a few topics, anymore I dont care...Topics such as paylakes, and c and r..I just decided I dont care one way or another.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Yea whatever you, CASTNETTER!!!!! -I have a new pet peve, CASTENETTERS that thing they are all that just beacuse they can catch a State Record Bass. Like who can't do that. ;)

9. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I was recently picking some pretty flowers with my dead battery, the ones without ants, at a local jellybean as the cow jumped over the moon.

10. I need a de-coder man!!! Thats great...

11. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

everyone is entitled to their opinions.

why stifle thought.

i know ive learned to see both sides of a lot of topics from reading everyones views. not that it changed my mind much.

mostly newbies to the boards and people who actually beleive their going to change other peoples minds are the ones that like to duke it out in those types of threads.

other people probably just think "here we go again".

but i do like to read peoples opinions, and i have respect for any well thought out comments.

its good to see things from other peoples perspective.

12. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I always like to see a good argument on the forums, just as long as I am not involved in it :D

13. mrfishohio

Yes, I agree, a little dose of male cowpies can be fun in moderation....as in moderation. :confused: Ponder that for awhile... :p

14. Its great to see there are still a few openminded people out there.

15. catking

catking Banned

I try to respect everybodys opinions UNLESS it is coming from an 'eye guy, a basser , GOD forbid a steelhead guy , or a pansy panfisherman.... I believe I covered all the diffrent groups.... notice I excluded the carpers and catters..... :cool: and for good reasons..... DA KING !!! .................. :D

16. catking

catking Banned

Forgot Muskie ........That is fishin isn't it .......... :D ... ffffffish said it was...................... :rolleyes: .................

17. mrfishohio

It's those durn catters & carpers starting with the ants . Maybe if the dead batteries were allowed picking pretty flowers at the jellybeans and the cow flew over the moon with what they got with the battery chargers.....everyone would live happily ever after. :D

18. catking

catking Banned

It's DECODER time............ I had one a couple years ago , got it out of a box of cheerios .............. :cool: .............. :B Rick

19. I need one to,this stuff is making my head spin :D

20. mrfishohio

Ants = C&R...c
    Catters & carpers starting it with C&R.
    Let the bowhunters do bed fishing at paylakes then take the fish home they get with their bows. I had to improvise..the charger to be for bows. ;)