close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Contract Help Needed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by olwhitee, Jul 22, 2008.

1. I am going to be signing a contract tomorrow with a contractor to do around 10,000$ worth of work to our basement/foundation. We have researched the contractor and contactet the BBB to make sure he was going to do the job right and now we are ready to enter into a contract.

Any suggestions on what to get in writing. I know that I need the begin/end date, price, warranty info, materials, and work to be done. Is there anything above the obvious that needs to be in writing?

Thanks for the help.

2. Copy of his insurance. Final payment not to be made untill you are %100 satisfied. The last one is the most important. Do not make the final payment untill all is perfect no matter how much you think you trust him. EVERYTHING changes once he is paid in full.

3. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

As Lee said, make sure he shows you proof of insurance, as well as updated workman's comp for his employees.

Also, there should be consequences if he goes past his date of completion. have the contract say that 1 or $200 will be taken off the final check for each day he runs over the date of completion. This will assure you that he will keep workers on the job instead of starting your project, then having one or two guys there each day while the rest of the crew is working elsewhere.

Try and get a schedule of the work to be done.

Demo done by such date

Electrical done by such date

Drywall done by such date, ect.....

4. who is paying for the material? if he is you might want to see invoices before you cut him any and all checks....make sure you are only buying material for your job....also, make sure there is an understanding of material and tools on job site...this is to make sure anything that comes up missing is on his insurance and not your homeowner policy - any equipment/material he leaves onsite should be at his risk

5. tomorrow??? you should already know when/what/where/ hows the pay out? who gets the permit? copy of his license? lieabliity insure?

6. jennis9

jennis9 Fish against the fish...

The work should be up to code and approved by the inspector as required by your city.

Had a guy try to pass on the inspections.

7. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

I have been in the trade business for many years. All these suggestions are good, but I got to tell you, if you don't trust him, don't use him. And remember, he has no more reason to trust you, as you do him. A contract protects not only you, but also the contractor. Few believe me when I say there are many more dishonorable customers then there are dishonorable contractors. You only hear about the crooks, never the honest. If he has been in business for years and has good credentials go for it. A call to your local building department, and a few questions about his business should tell you all you need to know. One more thing, if any customer tried to take 200 bucks a day for being late, I would certainly have to jack up the bid just to protect myself. You could have 4 straight days of rain when no work can be done. You can't penalize a guy for that.

8. DJA

DJA

I agree with Fishingguy 100% How does he know he can trust you? Make sure your willing to pay for Extras, make sure you have the money available the day he completes the job, the gas station don't give you 30 - 60 days to pay for the gas ( without interest). Make sure you have the site prepared for him, that he doesn't have to move your personal items out of his way. explain exactly what you want done and don't add on after the fact unless you are willing to pay. expect to pay extra if you tell him how to do his job and even more if you help ! b

9. Thanks for the tips. We have checked the guy's refernces and feel good about his company doing the work. I already have the money and he has asked for half up front and half at finish. He will be supplying all materials. He gave us a lump sum total that includes material labor etc., so seeing a bill of materials doesnt help me much.

I know a round about on the when why where, but he really did not want to schedule anything or make a promise to start before I was able to come up with the finances. He has told me he is insured etc, and I did not know to ask for actual proof. Now I know this is something I need to make sure of, which is why I starfted this thread. Now that I have secured finances he is going to come here tomorrow and set the details. I just want to be on my toes as we hash out the details and make sure I do not miss anything or cover my own arse.

Thanks again for the tips, I have written the ones that I did not think of down and will be sure to get them covered.

10. DJA

DJA

Just make sure you have proof of insurance and a current copy of his workers Comp. certificate. Any legitimate contractor will not bat an eye at producing these documents. Don't ever deal with an outfit without these.