Ohio Game Fishing banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Tried that. They came out and tried to interview the owner. He tried to take away his microphone and told him that we should be shot.
a grandson shot two people that tried to rip him off when he sold them a pound of pot.
Sheriff did a raid and found $300,000 worth of stolen items. But they are still in operation.
That would have been a great news piece. Is there video of that?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Move probably not safe to live there especially if you have children
Trying to get local ,state ,federal employees to do anything* is almost impossible
Attorney is going to cost you huge amounts of money and mounds of frustration
sorry I feel your pain ..frustrating

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
That would have been a great news piece. Is there video of that?
I had it recorded on a DirecTV box but it went bad and was replaced. I was told there was no way to save it. I think it was Dan Edwards that did the news story at that time. He went to a station in West Virginia not long after that…

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have an ongoing problem with my lawn getting killed by contamination coming on my property after rain. I have contacted all elected officials for help and contacted EPA. No one seems interested in doing anything to get it stopped. The Ohio EPA actually told me to quit complaining. Federal EPA says it is an Ohio EPA issue. I was even told that I had no right to complain about what happens in the side ditch in front of my house because it is county property. But, my deed says that the center of the road is the property line. They have been issued warnings about controlling storm water runoff, but it never stops. There are two government agencies that are or could be in charge of regulating the place, each say the other is responsible.
View attachment 488150 View attachment 488150

View attachment 488149
Three words Ohio attorney General

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,338 Posts
I worked for so many construction companies, who just didn't give one hoot about anything,,
The stuff they got away with, still burns me deeply today.

ONE French drain ditch along the property line would divert & or contain everything,,,
THAT scrap yard owner just doesn't care about anything or anybody.
Like some of those companies that I worked for, The bigger they are, the harder they will fall.

AFTER I gathered up dozens of run-off 'samples',,,,
I would sit way up in the air, over the top of that fence, & RECORD EVERYTHING,,, EVERY DAY, for as long as I could.
I just might learn to fly one of those neat little hover crafts.

OR,,,,, MAYBE THERE WOULD BE 'AN ACCIDENT'!
SOME HOW, SOME LATE FRIDAY NIGHT, THE WHOLE PLACE WOULD GO UP IN SMOKE! Bummer.

Remember, It can't burn without oil & gas all over the ground!

Recently,,, That 'system' sure worked at the scrap yard behind Vallourec steel in GIRARD.
Made the news big-time. ;>)

·
Registered
A little bit of everything
1 Posts
I have an ongoing problem with my lawn getting killed by contamination coming on my property after rain. I have contacted all elected officials for help and contacted EPA. No one seems interested in doing anything to get it stopped. The Ohio EPA actually told me to quit complaining. Federal EPA says it is an Ohio EPA issue. I was even told that I had no right to complain about what happens in the side ditch in front of my house because it is county property. But, my deed says that the center of the road is the property line. They have been issued warnings about controlling storm water runoff, but it never stops. There are two government agencies that are or could be in charge of regulating the place, each say the other is responsible.
View attachment 488150 View attachment 488150

View attachment 488149
Is that a junkyard behind the fence, if so , they, by law have to drain all fluids from the vehicles before putting them into the yard, I have 3 friends who own junkyards and that's the first thing they do when they get in a different vehicle, it's an EPA law that has to be done. I would definitely talk to the owners and let them know that if they don't clean it up you will be calling an attorney and the EPA , I guarantee they'll be on it right away. Especially if there is zoning in your area, but the zoning really doesn't matter if it is seeping into the ground.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Move probably not safe to live there especially if you have children
Trying to get local ,state ,federal employees to do anything* is almost impossible
Attorney is going to cost you huge amounts of money and mounds of frustration
sorry I feel your pain ..frustrating
And who, exactly, would be willing to buy this property without this problem being fixed?

Reactions: sjhiller1959

·
Registered
3 Posts
Motor oil, antifreeze, diesel fuel, and anything else that can leak out of crushed cars and trucks. Right now they are stacked about 30 feet high. The pictures are my backyard about half way down a 300 foot lot. I have pictures that show even more damage. These are the most recent.
To answer your first question about the EPA. Ohio is a state plan state, meaning the EPA is an Ohio agency (OEPA). The other side of the coin is OSHA, in Ohio it is federally controlled and not a part of Ohio government.

Runoff has to be controlled out of a business, that belongs to the OEPA, and that run off is a much bigger issue that just your lawn. This is what I would do.

1. Get a notebook and document EVERYTHING you do. Dates, times, where, who was there. Be a copious note taker. Did I mention document EVERYTHING? Good.
2. File a complaint here. Environmental Complaints | Ohio Environmental Protection Agency Document it in your notebook.
3. Contact ODNR see how they can help you. Document it in your notebook
4. Contact your two state reps in Columbus. It is REALLY important to carefully document what happens here. Their comments might be helpful in a local newspaper. hehe.
5. Contact an active environmental group in your area. They might do all the fighting for you, and some are very good at it. They should AT LEAST tell you who to contact for help.
6. If all else fails, hire an attorney that specializes in environmental cases. Avoid the local personal injury and divorce lawyers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Three words Ohio attorney General
I’ve thought of that but since everyone else has done nothing. I figured it would be a waste of time…
Is that a junkyard behind the fence, if so , they, by law have to drain all fluids from the vehicles before putting them into the yard, I have 3 friends who own junkyards and that's the first thing they do when they get in a different vehicle, it's an EPA law that has to be done. I would definitely talk to the owners and let them know that if they don't clean it up you will be calling an attorney and the EPA , I guarantee they'll be on it right away. Especially if there is zoning in your area, but the zoning really doesn't matter if it is seeping into the ground.
They tell the EPA that the fluids are drained when they get them. Then where does this grass killing stuff come from? When the wind is from that direction, it smells like stale gasoline so bad I can’t be outside.
Talking to them or threatening action would be a total waste of my time. Calling the EPA made no difference…
And who, exactly, would be willing to buy this property without this problem being fixed?
I have been told that I have to disclose that it may be contaminated if I sell my property. If I do not, I can be liable for the clean up…

·
Registered
284 Posts
Are any of the other neighbors on board with you?
I have been told that I have to disclose that it may be contaminated if I sell my property. If I do not, I can be liable for the clean up…
Wow. More than a contamination problem. Some neighbors. Little south of ya in rural Miami County. Since you posted your address the other day, a quick search turned up pages of crap regarding this clan next door. Appears the state and attorneys and the news agencies are well aware of the goings on there. The "business" is EPA licensed (if that matters?). Drugs, guns, death of a child at home, pollution....Since there has not been an outcome of the bust regarding the $300K theft charges yet, hopefully the state and feds are building a case and will soon drop the hammer on these folks. Won't help your pollution problem. That could remain for years and years.
A lot of times in rural areas, the laws and ordinances aren't fully enforced or just kind of overlooked. But this is on a whole other level of bs. I don't think your place could ever sell with the current neighbor and their history. You look to be about the only one on that road that is not related. The satellite image is from 2014. Hard to tell with the grass, but all other yards appear a lot "greener" than yours and the other side. Looks like a federal "Superfund" clean up site honestly. So I guess joining up with the neighbors is out. Best of luck to ya.
Ecoregion Plant Land lot Grass Urban design

Couple sentenced in son's accidental shooting death
Darke County raids recover more than $300,000 in stolen vehicles, heavy machinery

·
Registered
547 Posts
I’ve thought of that but since everyone else has done nothing. I figured it would be a waste of time…

They tell the EPA that the fluids are drained when they get them. Then where does this grass killing stuff come from? When the wind is from that direction, it smells like stale gasoline so bad I can’t be outside.
Talking to them or threatening action would be a total waste of my time. Calling the EPA made no difference…

I'd still file a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General that way it will be on record and they have to look into it 👍

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
To answer your first question about the EPA. Ohio is a state plan state, meaning the EPA is an Ohio agency (OEPA). The other side of the coin is OSHA, in Ohio it is federally controlled and not a part of Ohio government.

Runoff has to be controlled out of a business, that belongs to the OEPA, and that run off is a much bigger issue that just your lawn. This is what I would do.

1. Get a notebook and document EVERYTHING you do. Dates, times, where, who was there. Be a copious note taker. Did I mention document EVERYTHING? Good.
2. File a complaint here. Environmental Complaints | Ohio Environmental Protection Agency Document it in your notebook.
3. Contact ODNR see how they can help you. Document it in your notebook
4. Contact your two state reps in Columbus. It is REALLY important to carefully document what happens here. Their comments might be helpful in a local newspaper. hehe.
5. Contact an active environmental group in your area. They might do all the fighting for you, and some are very good at it. They should AT LEAST tell you who to contact for help.
6. If all else fails, hire an attorney that specializes in environmental cases. Avoid the local personal injury and divorce lawyers.

Good luck!
THIS IS GOOD ADVICE. FOLLOW IT. PLEASE. :)

41 - 58 of 58 Posts