Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ongoing problem with my lawn getting killed by contamination coming on my property after rain. I have contacted all elected officials for help and contacted EPA. No one seems interested in doing anything to get it stopped. The Ohio EPA actually told me to quit complaining. Federal EPA says it is an Ohio EPA issue. I was even told that I had no right to complain about what happens in the side ditch in front of my house because it is county property. But, my deed says that the center of the road is the property line. They have been issued warnings about controlling storm water runoff, but it never stops. There are two government agencies that are or could be in charge of regulating the place, each say the other is responsible.
Plant Asphalt Road surface Groundcover Grass
Plant Asphalt Road surface Groundcover Grass

Plant Grass Road surface Wood Groundcover

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that sewage? Did you try the health department? Fill in the ditch and let it run somewhere else?
Motor oil, antifreeze, diesel fuel, and anything else that can leak out of crushed cars and trucks. Right now they are stacked about 30 feet high. The pictures are my backyard about half way down a 300 foot lot. I have pictures that show even more damage. These are the most recent.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that sewage? Did you try the health department? Fill in the ditch and let it run somewhere else?
As far as the health department goes, they tested my well water sending samples to the EPA. They said it isn’t a problem unless it affects navigable waters….

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no side ditch where this picture is taken. This is the middle of my backyard from front to back. About 150 feet from the side ditch in front.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does your community have a Zoning department? Is so, I would approach them about the legality of the operation on your neighbors property and their seeming inability to control the residule contaminates that this operation produces. If there is no Zoning then you might want to contact an Attorney and talk to them abouit the very same issues and they can toss in the potential threatening health factors that this operation might be creating for neighboring properties. No matter what, it is an action that must be directed at the property owner directly either thru local governing agencies or thru legal methods. What the hell makes someone do something like that? Who the hell wants to be the people in the house that no one wants in the neighborhood? Good luck, he not only kills your grass but he also kills your property value. Filthy bastard.
I am 71 disabled and have a list of health problems. December 23rd I had an emergency tracheotomy. Two weeks later my whole colon was removed on a Sunday evening surgery.
As it is I have no idea how I could get this place sold for what it should be worth. This is the fix they made to the fence after they knocked it down loading a junk car. This is what it looks like from my side.
Wood Land lot Fence Grass Plant

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It's time for an Attorney....who isn't afraid to litigate.
You need an attorney who will put the fear of God and a massive lawsuit into your neighbors soul.
Also, if what you are describing is true, your neighbors have to be violating several federal and/or state laws.
Wish I could afford a good attorney. A few years back I had three back surgeries in six days. The last was to try to fix what was done wrong in the second. I had to refinace the place to get the medical bills paid. I talked to four attorneys and none would do a malpractice suit even though the surgeon said a piece of equipment failed to work correctly.
My normal luck…

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I would take samples of the run off water and your well water and have it tested. That doesn’t look good. If you can document contaminants in the water hire an attorney. Public officials may or may not be helpful. You have to find the right person in a sea of incompetence. Public officials often have their own agenda. An attorney will fight for you.
The well water tested ok according to the Ohio EPA a few years ago. That is where the county health department sent it for testing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Get ahold of your local news, they love this kinda stuff...I bet they'll be right out.
Tried that. They came out and tried to interview the owner. He tried to take away his microphone and told him that we should be shot.
a grandson shot two people that tried to rip him off when he sold them a pound of pot.
Sheriff did a raid and found $300,000 worth of stolen items. But they are still in operation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It looks like you're out in the sticks where there is little to no zoning regulations, let alone enforcement. The only way the township could shut it down is to declare the property a nuisance and say it violates one of their zoning regulations. The property owner has the right to sue the township if he disagrees with the nuisance order and doesn't want to shut down.

Any industrial facility where there is the potential for contaminants to be leaked onto neighboring properties is required to have an industrial NPDES permit on file with the Ohio EPA. This permit regulates contaminants from industrial operations and requires the owner to contain or treat any waste including surface water runoff that could contain oils or other fluids. I believe you can check the Ohio EPA website to see if this site has a permit. I'm not sure, but it may be too small of a site to require one of these permits. Or maybe, they can say that all the fluids are drained from those cars before they get to the site. Call the Ohio EPA department that deals with these permits. If the site is in violation of the permit, the Ohio EPA can shut it down. They usually give a few warnings first though.

You might want to have the soil tested where it is ruining your yard. The contaminants may not have made it to your well yet. If this soil is contaminated, it will help build your case against them. The dirt there might just be sediment from the gravel lot with little to know contaminants. Still, I believe that the EPA considers excessive sediment runoff from a constantly disturbed site to be a pollutant. The EPA may require them to build a sediment basin to capture that runoff. I once had to design 2 sediment basins and a new storm sewer for a concrete mixing company. Some of the fine cement from the mixing process had run off into a storm sewer on the road and over the years the cement accumulated in the pipe and clogged a 24" diameter pipe! The cement had hardened with the sediment and the whole run of 500' of pipe had to be replaced.
Had runoff water tested and soil tested. Both were loaded with oil contamination. It didn’t make anyone do anything. They claim the vehicles are drained before they get them but some are driven there. I have pictures from yesterday when a semi tractor, blocking my driveway, on a wrecker was leaking from a damaged fuel tank. The cars are placed on the ground and smashed flat with a track hoe.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
recommend you take this conversation offline, develop a plan of attack, and go full force to you county prosecutor and oepa at the same time. I was there similarly in 2005, posted on OGF then, and resulted in fines snd shutdown of two paper pkants in Hamilton and the city of hamilton getting a hefty fine. check your pm
Ok

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Or the result of two people being in bed!!
im not an attorney but from what’s been said here I think I could make the case.
I would have every rep up to my senator on speed dial and would call daily just to aggravate
All the elected officials in this area are the same party as him, and he donates lots to the party…

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
That would have been a great news piece. Is there video of that?
I had it recorded on a DirecTV box but it went bad and was replaced. I was told there was no way to save it. I think it was Dan Edwards that did the news story at that time. He went to a station in West Virginia not long after that…

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Three words Ohio attorney General
I’ve thought of that but since everyone else has done nothing. I figured it would be a waste of time…
Is that a junkyard behind the fence, if so , they, by law have to drain all fluids from the vehicles before putting them into the yard, I have 3 friends who own junkyards and that's the first thing they do when they get in a different vehicle, it's an EPA law that has to be done. I would definitely talk to the owners and let them know that if they don't clean it up you will be calling an attorney and the EPA , I guarantee they'll be on it right away. Especially if there is zoning in your area, but the zoning really doesn't matter if it is seeping into the ground.
They tell the EPA that the fluids are drained when they get them. Then where does this grass killing stuff come from? When the wind is from that direction, it smells like stale gasoline so bad I can’t be outside.
Talking to them or threatening action would be a total waste of my time. Calling the EPA made no difference…
And who, exactly, would be willing to buy this property without this problem being fixed?
I have been told that I have to disclose that it may be contaminated if I sell my property. If I do not, I can be liable for the clean up…

1 - 19 of 19 Posts