Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over 80 fish hit the deck in 3 days...probably another 40 lost in the process of reeling...lol

Morning bite right now is just kinda silly numerous doubles, triples and we had 3 quad hookups...pretty cool

Fish are everywhere it seems 65ft to 75ft...little bit of trash making things frustrating at times but weeding through it isn't too bad...

I didn't run a worm for the past 3 days...

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1376311718.093495.jpg
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1376311747.758171.jpg
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1376311766.033401.jpg
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1376311780.846867.jpg

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all cranks...wire on the boards wth yo-zuri lures

renoskys baits on the dipsys and riggers...

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
38 Posts
Way to go CB. Bet your clients are driving home with smiles on their faces and some sore arms! That many fish on wire is a ton of reeling!

·
Weekend Woodsmen
68 Posts
all cranks...wire on the boards wth yo-zuri lures

renoskys baits on the dipsys and riggers...
How much line was out on the wire? I still can't buy a bite on wire. Ran reef runners 800 from 260-350...nothing, and then tried a Rapala Deep Tail Dancer (30' diver) at all kinds of depths started shallow and worked down. I know I went through the right depth at one point in the progression because I it eventually snagged bottom, broke the pole and the line! Even tried hot n tots from 250-400. I am getting frustrated at this point, not pulling any on the steel is keeping us from our good numbers. I am running them off boards, is it possible it is something with the way the boards are pulling them? The tow line seems to stay tight...

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
How much line was out on the wire? I still can't buy a bite on wire. Ran reef runners 800 from 260-350...nothing, and then tried a Rapala Deep Tail Dancer (30' diver) at all kinds of depths started shallow and worked down. I know I went through the right depth at one point in the progression because I it eventually snagged bottom, broke the pole and the line! Even tried hot n tots from 250-400. I am getting frustrated at this point, not pulling any on the steel is keeping us from our good numbers. I am running them off boards, is it possible it is something with the way the boards are pulling them? The tow line seems to stay tight...
You may be fishing too deep. Your colors may be off. You gotta watch the underwater current, and small changes in direction have made a huge difference all year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Weekend Woodsmen
68 Posts
You may be fishing too deep. Your colors may be off. You gotta watch the underwater current, and small changes in direction have made a huge difference all year.

How do you typically adjust for current? Sideways and against current more line out, and with the current less line out? I am assuming you try to avoid going sideways to the current?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
How do you typically adjust for current? Sideways and against current more line out, and with the current less line out? I am assuming you try to avoid going sideways to the current?
Start by trolling with the waves. Assuming you do not have a fish hawk. So you'll need to put a dipsy out. If your dipsy isn't tracking straight, adjust course until it is. That will get you in the ballpark with the current.

As Sylvan suggested, Jr thundersticks or husky jerks are working well with 300'. They dive 15' and 19' respectively. That should keep you above the active fish.

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
That is the name of the game...I try to have as much fun as possible on trips...Lots of people want to fill the cooler, but mostly everyone just looking to have a nice day on the lake...

I dunno what you're doing with wire...I cant comment on your setup unless you give me an idea of what exactly your rod reel setup is...

I run a 8'6'' Daiwa Heartland Medium action rod with an Okuma Convector 30D line counter spooled with 275ft of .015 stainless wire...Medium action rod gives a little because on stainless wire there is very very little give and its real easy to rip em off with inexperienced clients and good headshakers....However less stretch puts the hooks in real good when the fish are active feeders...

I run a 10ft leader of 17lb florocarbon to a Dave's Kaboom, Bomber 24A, or Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow...Everything on every wire rod I own is identical...

Leads have been from 300-360ft off the board...with those lures above it should put you in the 48-55ft range trolling 2.0-2.4mph...

Wire line puts fish in the boat, but the dipsy bite has been pretty good past few weeks...

Way to go CB. Bet your clients are driving home with smiles on their faces and some sore arms! That many fish on wire is a ton of reeling!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts