Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading up this weekend ill be launching out of conneaut and plan on doing some trolling so any tips on depth and how for out would be appreciated

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
95 Posts
Me and my wife pulled 12 today out of Conneaut. Best program was 3 dipsy 160'. 2 dipsy 140' back. Harnesses and spoons about equal. We were about 9 miles NW of harbor in 72-74' feet of water. Caught tons of sheepshead and white bass. Never could keep 4 rods in the water. Goodluck ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1375313889.112580.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1375313902.550908.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
My boy and I got 7 today out of Conneaut. Went straight north out of the harbor, could not get anything going in the 72 - 74 foot depth, but it sounds like several people had success there.

Ended up pulling ours out of 64-68 FOW, 6 of the 7 on a big pink hatchet blade just a few feet off the bottom on dipsies. Other one came on a purple stinger also way down in the water column. Tried harnesses, spoons, and reef runners higher in the water column (anywhere from 20-50 feet deep) and only pulled trash fish.

Caught tons of white bass and sheepshead, probably 7 or so for every walleye, like the previous poster literally could not keep lines in the water for more than about a minute.

Pulling 1.5-1.7 could not even get the lines set back without hooking up with some trash fish, had to pull 1.9-2.1 to be able to set lines.

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
There are pods of fish from Geneva (probably much further west also) to the Ohio Line....In that 60-79ft of water...you just gota stay on em...

Sounds real general, but thats about as specific as this year has allowed us to be...They are there today and the next day marks scatter and those pods move...

You can clearly see in the reports just on OGF how they have varied in depths, locations, techniques, ect...This year is just a little strange...lol

Would you guys say the fishing is better out of Conneaut over Bula now or are they all headed out to abut the same area? I have been going out of Bula but am closer to Conneaut so just curious...

·
Weekend Woodsmen
68 Posts
There are pods of fish from Geneva (probably much further west also) to the Ohio Line....In that 60-79ft of water...you just gota stay on em...

Sounds real general, but thats about as specific as this year has allowed us to be...They are there today and the next day marks scatter and those pods move...

You can clearly see in the reports just on OGF how they have varied in depths, locations, techniques, ect...This year is just a little strange...lol
Thanks for the reply, we have had varying levels of success this year as well and haven't been out in a few weeks so we will try to get after them Friday!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Jeff, when you say speed kills, do you mean that speed needs to be kicked up to keep the trash off? Over 2.0? Thanks.

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
Generally when the water warms and stabilizes the JUNK moves in...and moves in HEAVY...While you could sit there all day and burn through worms (and a lot of people do with great success) we pretty much choose to run a lot more artificial program of shallow cranks on the dipsys and wire line on the planer boards and rip em through the water...

Ive run Daves Kabooms as fast as 2.8mph and just crushed fish...

Jeff, when you say speed kills, do you mean that speed needs to be kicked up to keep the trash off? Over 2.0? Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If anyone can give me coordinates as far as how north to northwest of the harbor it would be real helpful

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pulled 24 walleye on Tuesday 7/30 out on the 13 line. Got most on wire 350 back on kabooms. Dipsys caught maybe 4 fish. lots of fish out on the 12-13 line northwest of Conny.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Pulled 24 walleye on Tuesday 7/30 out on the 13 line. Got most on wire 350 back on kabooms. Dipsys caught maybe 4 fish. lots of fish out on the 12-13 line northwest of Conny.
That's a long haul out to the fish...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Thanks Jeff for the explanation, I too hate to go thru all the trash fish and burn thru worms when maybe small cranks and RRs will get walleyes. I have never trolled that fast before, a new twist and will give it a try next time out. Will just pretend I'm speed trolling for muskies. Ha Ha.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts