Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AKA Dnavarroj
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to find some active walleyes. I wanna run dispys, with cranks,spoons, and harnesses. Where would be a good place to start? ive had very good sucess at lorain running renoskys behind a dipsys. What depth should i :eek:target? or lines?
Not looking to take anyones honey hole. Just looking for a place to start. Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Been fishing both Conneaut and Ashtabula. Generally the fish have been suspended around 50' down. In water depths anywhere from the low 60s to 75'. So you may want to start just on the north side of the perch fleet, or much deeper water. Just depends on weather and how they are moving around the area. Check with Snug Harbor prior for recent reports.
Generally this year we have not found a consistent program. Crankbaits, spoons, harnesses have all been used and nothing has really stood out. We've been using dipseys, downriggers, leadcore, and wire line; wire line presentations have put a few more fish on the boat than the rest.
My observations from this last Sunday. We started trolling just before 8, the first 3 fish all came on a dipsey with a small copper with blue & white face spoon in the first hour of fishing. After that, for the rest of the day, every walleye came on wire line with a crankbait. Couldn't get anything but sheephead, bass, and steelhead on the dipseys and rigger after that. In looking back over the season it seems like more often than not, when the sun starts getting up in the sky we have most of our luck on presentations that get the bait away from the boat. Point being you probably ought to bring your whole arsenal, you may need it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
We fished Conneaut Saturday and didn't have much luck. Fished Ashtabula Sunday and got our limits, though it took all day. Now whether the change of location changed our luck, or the fact that Saturday was bright and sunny and Sunday we had better walleye weather with the all day cloud cover.

Also, I would recommend taking your perch gear with you. The bite has been amazingly good. So if you have a tough day walleye you can quickly get your limit of perch and still go home with something.

·
AKA Dnavarroj
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I will bring the whole aresenal. How far is ashtabula from. Conneaut? Can I go there from my boat? Troll over?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I did good on walleye nw of perch pack started trolling when i hit 70 feet of water the cought 12 in 2 1/2 hours on dipseys fished 45 foot down all on harnesses somewhere around the 06 and the 35 good luck

·
Registered
232 Posts
Did well today NNE from Bula in 71-73' of water. 2 man limit of eyes in 1.5 hours with 3 FOs.

Best program was dipseys 3.5 setting 135 back and 1 setting 100 back. Double willows and hatchet blade harnesses all produced - all colors did well. Speed was 1.8. Good luck if you get out. We'll be out again Friday morning.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

1 - 8 of 8 Posts