close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Confusing Situation............HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by smalliehunter, Jun 11, 2004.

1. smalliehunter

smalliehunter "The Mighty Wing Man"

Maybe someone can steer me to the problem i am having. I replaced the starter, new wiring harness, new plugs, etc.......from a dealer last year...... this year i went and bought a new battery (didnt charge it over the winter....my bad), anyhow...... put in the battery (brand new) and try to crank over the motor......and all i get is "click, click, click".....heres the wierd part... the battery terminals are EXTREMELY HOT........ i only tried to start it twice.......so not sure that is causing the heat on the battery terminals.....and the new battery on the voltage meter on the boat is only reading at 12........shouldnt this be up around 14 or 15.......... Any one have any suggestions or thoughts to this.......

Thanks in advance!!!!!

2. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

12 to 12.5 volts is normal at the battery with the motor not running.
    With the motor running,and the charging system working properly you should have 14 to 14.5 volts across the terminals.
    Your symptoms sound like a bad solenoid,but it could also be a defective starter or as simple as a bad cable connection to the starter,or possibly a bad ground.
    The heat could have built up from repeated starting attempts.
    To troubleshoot the solenoid,use a screwdriver and jumper the two terminals across the solenoid.If the motor cranks the solenoid is bad.
    If it continues the clicking...you have other troubles..possibly the starter.