Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had something happen a while back that I never put in a trip report that I thought I'd throw out here. I'm the most mild mannered mellow guy you will ever meet. A guy I work with says, I wish I had your temperment, you never let things get to you. Anyways so I'm fishing alone a while back in a pretty secluded part of the Great Miami. Along come two guys in kayaks. They beach them about a hundred feet away and walk towards me with fishing rods in hand. I'm fishing this little jet of current that breaks thru this bar and pours into a hole. It's only maybe five feet across, the rest of the river comes around the end of the bar curving around me. Well this guy walks up opposite me. Maybe thirty feet across this little eddy and cast right into the little break. About two feet in front of my feet. I throw my arms up in a what are you doing pose and he shrugs and says.. That's the hot spot I caught a 20 incher there. I'm Like...And that makes it okay??? About then his buddy walks up and casts right in front of me, again maybe two feet from my feet. I mean I cant cast for their lines. I bite off my jig and tie on a crankbait and cast when they cast. Lines are tangled, words are exchanged. Finally realizing they weren't going to bully me out of the spot they left. The whole time I couldn't tell if they were going to leave or try and kill me, it was obvious they were trying to start something. By then I was so mad I was shaking and ready to fight. Two guys half my age and at least twenty pounds apiece heavier. I remember thinking If one of these big thugs grabs me I'm cutting his n%$ts off. So besides being utterly stupid was I wrong? What would you have done? I mean no spots worth dying for but it wasn't about the spot. I was raised that you don't treat people like that and you don't let them treat you like that. Or maybe I'm on my way to turning into one of those crazy old guys that yells at drug dealers, I'm not sure I haven't had a confrontation like this in thirty years and was pretty shocked.

·
fish breath
567 Posts
I don't think you were in the wrong. I think of fishing just like a restaurant. First come first serve. And man alive you would not like fishing the walleye run on the Maumee. This occutance happens every fifteen minutes.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
You would shoot someone over a fishing spot? Real mature. :D
I could see this one coming from a mile away. I'm hoping you guys are friends and that was good natured joshing. Everyone has a right to self defense, and he wasn't talking about defending a fishin hole.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
OSG, I understand where you are coming from. Fishing public waters should always be first come, first served. However, many people pay claim to things that are not theirs, and will try to make the situation uncomfortable to the point that you leave "their" spot. Is childish, but many people ate these days.

I try to about a confrontation at all costs because I know now the system works and I know my temperament, especially when it comes to bullies. You were in a situation I'm not sure I would have handled by well. At the least I would have handled or the same way you did. We are supposed to turn the other cheek, but the truth is most bullies rely on us to do just that.

Not that it was right or wrong, but I would say most uninterested 3rd party people would have understood your reaction of not done the same thing.

Mr. A

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
You would shoot someone over a fishing spot? Real mature. :D
How could you possibly read into his description that he would shoot someone over a fishing hole? :confused: And yes, I too have a CCW and would again shoot someone that was threatening me.

·
Banned
809 Posts
I had to defuse a confrontation between parents at a little league football game today. There was an aggressor, and a bystander who was well prepared and willing to defend himself in whatever way necessary. I, as an impartial third party was able to advise the bystander to walk the other way and turn and head off the aggressor. Thank god I had the ability to do so because I later learned that the situation was on its way to becomingway uglier than I had ever imagined.

Now had it been me in the shoes of the bystander I too would have been willing and welcoming top the the conflict because I naturally have that "I ain't no punk" mentality. But optimally it was the right thing for said person to turn and walk away even though he would have in no way been in the wrong for defending himself at any resource available at that moment. I personally have a stand your ground mentality... But I do about it is not the right mentality to have in all situations.

To sum it up, you ate not in the wrong for having the emotions that you hadat the time of the conflict. But I think we all need to use our heads too.

Sent from my MB855 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
I had something happen a while back that I never put in a trip report that I thought I'd throw out here. I'm the most mild mannered mellow guy you will ever meet. A guy I work with says, I wish I had your temperment, you never let things get to you. Anyways so I'm fishing alone a while back in a pretty secluded part of the Great Miami. Along come two guys in kayaks. They beach them about a hundred feet away and walk towards me with fishing rods in hand. I'm fishing this little jet of current that breaks thru this bar and pours into a hole. It's only maybe five feet across, the rest of the river comes around the end of the bar curving around me. Well this guy walks up opposite me. Maybe thirty feet across this little eddy and cast right into the little break. About two feet in front of my feet. I throw my arms up in a what are you doing pose and he shrugs and says.. That's the hot spot I caught a 20 incher there. I'm Like...And that makes it okay??? About then his buddy walks up and casts right in front of me, again maybe two feet from my feet. I mean I cant cast for their lines. I bite off my jig and tie on a crankbait and cast when they cast. Lines are tangled, words are exchanged. Finally realizing they weren't going to bully me out of the spot they left. The whole time I couldn't tell if they were going to leave or try and kill me, it was obvious they were trying to start something. By then I was so mad I was shaking and ready to fight. Two guys half my age and at least twenty pounds apiece heavier. I remember thinking If one of these big thugs grabs me I'm cutting his n%$ts off. So besides being utterly stupid was I wrong? What would you have done? I mean no spots worth dying for but it wasn't about the spot. I was raised that you don't treat people like that and you don't let them treat you like that. Or maybe I'm on my way to turning into one of those crazy old guys that yells at drug dealers, I'm not sure I haven't had a confrontation like this in thirty years and was pretty shocked.
You should have said I'll let you have my fishing hole, I don't think you'll mind me using your kayak.

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
4,924 Posts
"And yes, I too have a CCW and would again shoot someone that was threatening me. "

Ya,,, just a fishing spot, NO BIGGIE,,, just walk away!:eek:

(I'd just calmly pack-up and leave,,,,
AFTER I CUT ALL THEIR VALVE STEMS! ;):p)

Where we steelhead fish, up Bula, there's 2 or 3 younger, punk, broken- English Russians that come all the way from Cleveland. ( I'm using this description so YOU can pick'em out & use caution.) Seems like they come and fish, just to confront anybody they can. They yell, scream, cuss out loud,,, even throw bolders in the water. They'll cast spoons or jigs all the way across the river, just to tangle your lines, and then they cut yours!
They hope to piss you off and you leave. It's happened many times, over many years,,,, we know them well. ( if your up there, just ask 'Froggy'. He'll tell ya some stories) And finally, when one of my OGF friends got in their face, just to discuss ediquette, they pulled knives on him!
We tried to contact Wardens, many times. It just doesn't work.
Now, when we go up,,, we're packing. The next time that my friends see a knife,,,, it'll be ugly! The outcome will NOT BE GOOD.

SO, this being 'pushed around thing',,, being 'treated like dirt',,,
Just how much would you take? :flag:

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
It's those yakers causing all of the problems on the flows now days;):D

Obviously they showed no respect, ethics or any courtesy.

Words will never change their actions they are too stupid to understand, they are what they are, just move on and enjoy your day elsewhere, not worth it.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
this isn't about defending a fishing spot... its about defending yourself against idiots in isolated areas..

and honestly, if you are a big enough prick to act like that out on the water, you had it coming for a long time...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Where we steelhead fish, up Bula, there's 2 or 3 younger, punk, broken- English Russians that come all the way from Cleveland. ( I'm using this description so YOU can pick'em out & use caution.) Seems like they come and fish, just to confront anybody they can. They yell, scream, cuss out loud,,, even throw bolders in the water. They'll cast spoons or jigs all the way across the river, just to tangle your lines, and then they cut yours!
They hope to piss you off and you leave. It's happened many times, over many years,,,, we know them well. ( if your up there, just ask 'Froggy'. He'll tell ya some stories) And finally, when one of my OGF friends got in their face, just to discuss ediquette, they pulled knives on him!
We tried to contact Wardens, many times. It just doesn't work.
Now, when we go up,,, we're packing. The next time that my friends see a knife,,,, it'll be ugly! The outcome will NOT BE GOOD.

SO, this being 'pushed around thing',,, being 'treated like dirt',,,
Just how much would you take? :flag:
I can see the confrontation unfolding now. After words are exchanged and a knife is drawn your buddy says, "ain't it just like a commi to bring a knife to a gun fight."

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Lundy I would appreciate it if you could keep on topic and not go out of your way to offend a group of our members. Conflict orientated posting is not what we need here. Thanks for your cooperation.

;) Joke, Please dont boot me, LOL

Its a tough spot, now that I have kids I try a lot harder to remove myself from those situations. People are crazy and you never know what could happen. Not worth it when people need me. But it sure is hard when people seem dead set on pushing your buttons.

As a kayaker I hate coming up on someone fishing when I have no choice but to float past them in skinny water. I try to be friendly and a sneak past them quietly. But to get out and cast on top of them, that takes some nerve.

One situation I run into is a spot that my friend owns and ask me to run people out of there if I see them. Thats where I put the kayak in and not exactly something I want to do before I leave my car unattended for hours in the middle on nowhere. Instead I just say "how you doing" and ask if I can put in there.

·
Banned
362 Posts
How could you possibly read into his description that he would shoot someone over a fishing hole? :confused: And yes, I too have a CCW and would again shoot someone that was threatening me.
Not to go too far a field but does having a CCW make a difference in whether or not one can defend themself with a firearm? All these people saying "I have a CCW and will shoot you if you threaten me" seems strange to me. Does the permit give you some greater right than everyone else? To the OP, it sounds like you handled yourself well in a stressful situation.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hell, just open carry if you want to be strapped up. Probably wouldn't have people fishing on top of you being punks if they can see you're packing heat. No confrontation, then!

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
We've never gotten into a confrontation when paddling past fishermen. I'm steering the canoe so I try to keep track of where lines are, and steer clear. We've never snagged a line.

Once, though, on the Scioto in Dublin, we were paddling upstream and a guy was wading, standing in the center of the stream. I was watching to see where he was casting, and he was casting to both sides. So when we got close, I chose to go on the side he currently had his back to, and it worked out.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Not to go too far a field but does having a CCW make a difference in whether or not one can defend themself with a firearm? All these people saying "I have a CCW and will shoot you if you threaten me" seems strange to me. Does the permit give you some greater right than everyone else? To the OP, it sounds like you handled yourself well in a stressful situation.
A CCW is a CYA thing. If you have to use it, the first thing LE is going to ask is if you have a permit to LEGALLY carry a fire arm with you, which IS a greater right than someone who carries with out a CCW and has to use thier fire arm. In the state of Ohio you are supposed to volunteer this information to any LE officer that approaches you for any reason and you have your fire arm with you, no matter why they approach you. Do you need one? Not necessarily, but good luck explaining why you had it on you in the first place if you do happen to have to use it and dont have a CCW. Your legal rights are gone at that point if you dont have it. Its a law for a reason just like having to have a fishing/hunting/driving license. Do you need those? No. But again, good luck explaining why you dont have a fishing/hunting license if appraoached by a ranger or explaining why you are driving with out a license if you're pulled over.

As far as carrying all the time, I used to be greatly against it. i just couldnt wrap my mind around the notion that people feel the need to make sure they have their gun on them before leaving the house. I didnt want to believe that our society has become so bad that people felt the need to do this. My thought process on this has now changed and I also have my CCW. I would rather have it and not not need it over needing it and not having it. Like the saying goes, I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by six.

And no one said " I will shoot you if you threaten me". they said they will defend themselves if they feel they are in danger, usually for their life, like knives being pulled on them as stated above. There is a huge difference between shooting some one because they threatened you and shooting some one because you are in fear for your life. Maybe I didnt interpret what you were asking correctly but thats they way your question read to me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It would have been neat to have handled the situation like a Clint Eastwood character.

After reeling in your line and surrendering the fishing spot, calmly walk over and empty all but two shots into the kayaks, ask them if they were counting, then saunter off into the sunset.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
When I go fish streams, local lakes, or ponds, I just strap on my .357 in its side holster so its some what visible at my side...never had a problem nor have I ever needed to remove it from its holster...mighty good visual deterrent....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 20 of 66 Posts