close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Computer is running slow...

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by pymybob, Jan 6, 2005.

1. ...especially when I'm on OGF. Not sure if it' my computer or OGF's server. Has anyone else been experiencing this? What I mean is pages taking 10-20 seconds to open with a standard RoadRunner connection. Also my computer has 256 MB of RAM and I am running Windows XP. Also, I have no other programs running at the time I'm online, just IE.

If anyone can suggest some tips on possible solutions, I would love to hear them. Maybe I need to clean up the "behind the scenes" info that may be on my computer bogging me down but would like to hear any and all thoughts on the topic. Thanks in advance!

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

site speed seems normal on my end.

3. mikie_fin

mikie_fin Ohio & California

There are viruses that make computers run very slow. The virus can be attached to incoming e-mail or pics. If you also visit certain web-sites, your computer can be infested with the same virus. Just be very careful!!

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

On your home page, at the top, go to tools, click on internet options. Click on this. Go to deleate files, click on remove temp. files. Then click clear history. This will remove a lot of junk from the computer you don't need.
    Also run you anti-virus and also ad aware to check for virus' and spy ware. You'll most likely have to restart your computer after this.
    I do mine often. I don't have any problem with the site as for the speed. Also how much storage do you have? Maybe your getting full. Just some ideas to try.

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

try killing all of your cookies/offline content and doing a defrag.

256 RAM is bare minimum for an OS like XP. I wouldn't expect it to fly on a graphically intense site like this.

6. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

I think ShakeDown hit it on the head. You need more RAM regardless. I would highly recommend AT LEAST 512 MB, that should let you do just about anything "surfing" wise you need to do.

7. Some other things that S-L-O-W computers down. Spyware , fragmentented hard drive, running too many programs at once. Plus the others that our fellow OGFers have mentioned. If you choose to buy more memory ( RAM ) stay with excellent brand names like Micron, Crucial etc. Do not buy what the industry refers to as O.E.M. memory. The 10-15 dollars you save will have you gnashing your teeth if the cheaper memory fails you. The computer industry is like all the others ,you get what you pay for. Will be opening computer repair shop in the near future, I plan on advertising on this site. Hopefully for those of you in and around the Youngstown area I could be of some assistance.

8. I saw a thread earlier from Frankie-b-good. He has worked on my box and did a great job at a very reasonable price. Give him a call if all of the advice fails and he'll get ya fixed right up.

9. Thanks gang! I cleared my temporary files and did a defrag last night. I did not know about XP and the RAM issue. I think I am going to go out and pick up another 512 RAM and see if that helps. Also, I am going to look into this ad aware program. Maybe this spyware is what's slowing me down. Thanks for all the suggestions!

10. ShakeDown

cool pymybob. you should run some sort of spyware scanner regardless of the slowdowns...that stuff is RAMPANT on the net anymore :(

11. Unless you are running multiple windows and various applications I don't suspect you will see much difference on the site between 256Meg and 512Meg. Granted XP is more robust an carries more overhead. But at the same time it is more efficient with it memory than its predecessors. I am running right now on a PC with only 256Meg on Road Runner and it is cruising fine. In fact at times I have a dozen or more windows open at times and only occasionally do I see the need to start closing windows. I believe that if the temp file clear did not resolve the issue my guess would be that it is a spyware or virus issue. If you are on XP it should be using NTFS file structure which is really maintenance free. I never run a defrag program on my systems running NTFS. Microsoft finally figured it out with NTFS.

I would suggest that first make sure your antivirus program is updated and current with definition file. If it has not been done recently with the current definitions I would then run a scan of the entire system. If that yields nothing I would download andrun Ad-Aware and Spybot to remove spyware. Again with these make sure that the update option has been run to get the most current updates. You may want to run these on your system in the safe mode as it will be more capable of removing the items completely and not getting them pop right back in on your next restart.

Also, takae a look at the Add/Remove Programs list for your system to see if anything looks unusual or suspicious in there. Some of these spyware programs will actually load an uninstall script to allow for removal.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

12. Oh, and I forgot to mention the one suggestion that has been getting an lot of use lately. Drop Internet Explorer and start running Firefox.;) You do not need to remove IE but simply not use it. Go to the following site and download and install their Firefox product and give it a try. You will find that it functions very similar to IE but without the popup headaches and the spyware attacks.

Firefox Central

13. ShakeDown

NTFS is far superior to FAT file systems...however, I wouldn't go as far as saying MS nailed it with NTFS. Analyze your drive when you get a chance Brian...NTFS can still fragment like a bastard.

I just looked at my work PC, and was shocked at how fragmented it was.

14. You are right that they will fragment over time. But the difference is that MTFS will not corrupt in the way the FAT and FAT32 will. I have very rarely run into a problem where NTFS needs to fix itself. Also the fragmentation does not waste near the space with NTFS because of the smaller data block sizes. I did take your advice and analyze my drive here though. I am starting a defrag now. I am curious what improvements it will make since their seems to be no data access lag at any point. If I see anything substantial I will post back.

Thanks

15. Can anyone recommend a good site to download Spybot from? I tried a copy from PCWorld and it would not delete the files it found and the program told me to un-install itself and try again. After my third attempt at this, I'm giving up and would like to try another copy from another site. Any suggestions?

Also, Ad Aware found a few items (around 114 to be exact) and it quarantined those files. Spybot found only 14 items but I just need to get them eliminated, once I get the app properly installed.

I think I am going to try FireFox next to see how that goes and then try the additional RAM upgrade. Thanks again for all your suggestions everyone! I love OGF!

16. www.download.com , www.tucows.com , are 2 excellent sites. I personally like spyware blaster as an anti spyware. also where is Ellet , Ohio. reason i ask is I could look at it for you . also helpful info would be make of computer. not to tweak anyones beard here butthe only thing Microsoft ever nailed was " making mr bill gates extremely rich " been working on pcs long enough to remember why there is no B drive anymore.

17. Thanks. My computer was built for me. Its not a name-brand PC. Thanks for the offer though. If I'm still experiencing problems after all my fixes, I'll let you know and maybe we can set something up.

18. The fact your pc is NOT a brand name is a good thing. As long as your builder was computer savvy. A lot of the time your major manufacturers put a lot of junk software that is supposed to help the user. While some of it may be slightly useful to a 1st time user , usually it just helps to bog the machine down. that was the only reason I wanted to know what type of pc it was. Hopefully all the advice you got this thread will pep your machine up to standard and we can get on with fishin :D

19. I had noticed mine running a little slower here too... I thought it was the banners on the top right of each page causing the slow down for me because they are the last thing to load on each page open... After running the below listed MSN AP I'm flying once again including on here...
    I ran the new beta spyware app Shakedown posted about in this thread:
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22116
    and it found one spyware that was really a slowdown for my system because it logged every key stroke I took + website I visited, time spent at same bla bla blah... :mad:
    Now its gone ... THANKS Shake for the heads-up [​IMG]

My computer is a generic mish mash of componants ;)

20. eagleclaw

eagleclaw Banned

what you need to get is spybot search and destroy another good one