close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Computer help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BassBlaster, Feb 19, 2008.

1. I just recently got my internet back and for some reason every web page I go to including OGF is to wide for my screen. Can someone tell me how to shrink it so I don't have to scroll back and forth to see the whole page? I know this should have been posted in the comp. section but that area dosn't seem to get much traffic. Thanks

2. Also, I used to be able to just click on OGF and I could get right in, now I'm having to sign in every time and I'm clicking "remember me" every time but for some reason it isn't.

3. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Check your screen resoultion.

Not sure why it isn't "remembering" you... Try logging in, and logging back out... or restarting your computer again.

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Bass,
    sign in on the 2nd. page, not the home page. You should be good if you do that.

5. Press Ctrl and roll your scroll button on your mouse

6. Make sure cookies are enabled in your internet settings so that your pc is able to keep the log in info. That's how your pc remembers that info so you don't have to log in every time. Adjust your screen resolution to get the images to fit your screen.

7. Fish2day

Fish2day member

Bring up the control panel and double click on "display". Click the "settings" tab. There should be a slide control for screen resolution, slide it 1 bar to the "-" (less) direction. Click " apply". should take care of it.

8. I tried all the suggestions so far and it's still not correcting my problem. My resolution is set to the less side as far as it will go and one click to the more side makes everything very small. When I use the control and mouse scroller it makes everything too small as well. I just need to make the page not so wide so that I don't have to scroll back and forth to see an entire page. I have never had this problem before but since getting back online, every web page is really wide. Thanks fo all the help so far.

9. I'm not sure if that was his problem, but I learned something new. I don't need my glasses anymore. Thanks for this hint

10. willy

willy no boat

drivers are the software that lets your hardware (in this case video card) talk to the operating system software, "windows" if you will. There are drivers that will make it function but will not be optimal (limited resolutions or options-think a t.v. with no cable service and the "ghoul" isn't on anymore). I would try to update the video driver, it depends on your version of windows to how you do it (3.51,NT,95, 98,2K,XP,Vista=garbage, etc.). Normally by the time hardware hits the store shelves there are already new drivers developed for it on the internet. I dont know what OS your on but if your on XP go into the display properties (right-click on desktop, properties, settings), click on advanced button, then adapter tab, then properties, then driver tab, then click on the button that says "update driver". It will go out to the internet to find the newest driver for your video card (no charges). It will tell you if it finds a new driver and ask you if you want to install it, go ahead and update it. then after a reboot, go back into your display settings (see above) and I bet you may have more resolution options.
    If your not used to computers it may sound complicated but it's not, good luck and post back if your still having issues~

11. Perchy101

Hmmmm... Just thought of this...

Maybe your 'text-size' got bumped up somehow.

Try clicking View - Text-Size and set it to Medium.

PERCHY.

12. Saloon --- Glad it helped someone.

I should have said press and hold Ctrl and move your scroll button on your mouse.

Like almost every thing, someone has to show or tell you how to do things. It’s a part of learning and I learned that little trick from my youngest grand child, she just turned 6 on the 17th of this month. Her dad has taught her well.

13. donkey

donkey Permanent Part Time

Do you have the same problem in all browsers?Perhaps you would be better off using Firefox

14. I have tried every suggestion given so far with the exception of switching to firefox. I updated the driver, no change, text is set to medium.

This is the exact computer that I had before I just didn't have internet for a few months. I can't figure out what has changed. It is really annoying to have to scroll right and left to see a whole page. Maybe I'll just have to learn to live with it. Thanks for all the help and if anything else comes across someones mind please let me know.

15. Perchy101

http://ask-leo.com/my_window_is_too_large_and_wider_than_my_screen_how_to_i_resize_it_back.html

Try this...

16. Maybe something simple overlooked. Have you tried the size buttons/dials on the monitor? They should either be along the bottom or the side.

17. I was thinking the same thing as this. Have you checked to see if it happens on every program that is maximized? Perhaps the monitor settings are placing the image beyond the edge of the screen. Depending on the monitor there are several ways to address it. You can adjust the horizontal only or the overall size. Try reducing it and see what happens. You will know when you have gone too far when you end up when dead space on the edge of the monitor.