close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Computer Help

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by shroomhunter, Dec 18, 2008.

1. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

My home computer is having some serious issues, in fact it wont stay on. Hit the power up button the computer fires up goes into scan disk and then shuts down. If I click any key to stop scandisk which it says to do the screen goes white and the message says no CPU detected.

Has my computer went to the "happy surfing grounds" or could there be a fix for this?

Fortunately I have this laptop and can stay connected for work etc.

2. do you have virus protection? sounds like a virus or your board is fried

3. shroomhunter

I have the full blown Norton 360 and I also run spybot from time to time to clean things up. The puter had been loading and running slowly so a couple weeks ago I ran spybot then I ran skandisc and disk defrg. It worked better now this is going on. I rarely ever use this computer because I have the laptop, the wife and kids use that for for their yahoo mail surfing etc. So when I asked if they opened anything with an attachment I got the big NO, NOT ME! So I have no idea what may have happened for sure.

4. Could be your hard drive also. If hard drive is corrupt scan disk will try to fix it. If the hard drive is toast it cannot fix it. Usually if the hard drive is unable to communicate you get this on a black screen

no hard disk detected.

5. viper1

viper1 Senior Member

Could just be a corupt or bad file. You need to give some more info about your system. System software,cpu type and size,etc. whatever you know. Sounds like it might be vista and a AMD cpu.

6. shroomhunter

It's Windows XP but the first edition, yesterday the machine came on and worked for everything except the internet, now it's back to startup, scandisc then shuts down before it finishes scandisc. I'll just haul it to the puter mechanic and let him wrench on it awhile. He'll figure it out and let me know if it's terminal. I'm guessing a virus, kids sending emails back and forth with who knows what attached, downloading songs from Limewire etc etc. I use the laptop and never fool with that one anymore unless it has a problem.
    Thanks for the input.

7. shroomhunter

The message on the screen actually says CPU 100% capacity instead of not found. So I realize that my CPU is full but that means nothing to me other than something inside the box doesn't have any more room in it.
    Do I just need a big hammer?

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

now you're talking my language:D

9. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

10. do you have a recovery disk...take it back to its original state

11. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

This may have nothing to do with it but might help ya out. Can't hurt to try. Check the fans, see if any of them are gunked up with dust. I had a system giving me all kinds of heck and tried everything, took it in and they told be my fan was cloged up. They were going to just clean it but I told em to put a new one in it. didn't change anything software side just the fan and it went from not being able to boot to running perfect. There are 2 fans on your machine I believe if memory serves me right. 1 in the back by the power cord and 1 inside, the 1 inside has a radiator looking thing behind it. Make sure you get all the gunk out of the radiator slots. Hope it helps.