close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Computer geniuses.......tech heads, whoever..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mrfishohio, Oct 2, 2004.

1. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I was about to send an email the other day with my addy book open, selecting the person to get the letter, just as I clicked on their name, or send, we had a power surge & a 5 minute brownout. After the power resumed, my addy book was gone. That's all that was affected, all the contacts were wiped clean. I have Windows XP and run OE, never had any problems. I had alot of names in it, along with info like phone numbers, steet addys, birthdays, etc.
    I'm assuming it's lost for good, but then got thinking maybe it makes a copy somewhere in the computer?
    That's my question, can it be restored? I know I never copied it, so only if OE or XP hides it somewhere will there be a copy. thanks, Jim

2. I think you reset your computer to think its an older date. I think its called system restore or set point. Anyhow it will rest your box to the same setting for a previous time. That may bring back your mail box, I hope that helps.

3. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Jim,

Address book is in a file called Wab, or windows address book, input *.wab might want to do a search on your computer for that file, it may have been hid during the brown out.........Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Becareful using system restore if you go that route. If any of your restore points were created while you were infected with spyware or a virus, you'll get em back.

5. ... use your restore then set that point as your new restore after checking to ensure your system is working ...