close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

completely stupid question about live bait

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Saw Player, Jun 29, 2007.

1. I've never used much live bait. Lately I've been wanting to try minnows and small chubs. What's the best way to hook them so they alive in the water and don't fall off the hook? I apologize for my ignoranace!

2. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

I usually hook my minnows through the lips... the only downside to this is that sometimes I'll miss fish because they hit short and pull the minnow off.

3. no questions a stupid question..but i hook mine through the back normally sometimes through the mouth either way holds pretty well

4. I usually hook mine through the back near the tail. No vital organs back there so they seem to stay lively longer. I have had times where it seems like fish would only hit if the minnow was hooked through the lips though.

Jake

5. For me part of it depends on how I am fishing the bait. If I am still fishing it either on bottom or under a float I usually hook them in the back behind the dorsal fin in the meaty part. If I am fishing them on a jig or floating them with current then I hook them through the mouth as they will be more natural as they get pulled through the water.

6. I agree 100% through the tail no vitals to hit, they seem to keep more natural movement that way as well(or at least as much as possible with a hook in you) I try to keep the weight 12"-15" away from the minnow as to give it some range, you dont get snagged as much as you might think you would that way.

7. The only stupid question about live bait is:

"Should I use butter or margarine to pan-fry Canadian nightcrawlers?"
    You use extra virgin olive oil of course.

I hook minnows through the lips