Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have layed flooring in my house,done some drywall work. Could prolly build a house minus the electrical work.
But when it comes to my kids common core math lessons... I'm clueless...
I have been out of school now for 20 years, still to this day I remember getting in trouble for doing math the way my dad taught me and not the teachers way! Always had the right answer, but it wasn't done their way. Dad always said do it my way, their way wastes too much paper! Haha

·
Registered
16,935 Posts
I have been out of school now for 20 years, still to this day I remember getting in trouble for doing math the way my dad taught me and not the teachers way! Always had the right answer, but it wasn't done their way. Dad always said do it my way, their way wastes too much paper! Haha
How do they balance a checkbook doing math like that?

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,227 Posts
How do they balance a checkbook doing math like that?
laugh well, first you have to have a checkbook which would require a checking account which would require money which would (probably) require a job :p then you have to give a rats A$$, no need to do any stinking math, if you have checks left you're good to go :rolleyes: be like the government, just write a check :D money to back it up is optional :cool:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I took my 16y/o grandson last week to start a savings account and he didn't know how to sign his name as he was never taught cursive. The way schools are heading another 20 years and people will just make an X like they did 100 years ago.

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
In my looong !time in school; math was both oppressive and very depressing. Man! I slaved over many a blank test,and homework. I would usually do that stupid; how did you reach that answer mumbo-jumbo, on the back of the test sheet. And my answers were always the same; I didn't understand the questions ! Years later; I would give my answers in either Greek or Russian. I have spoken three languages since I can remember. English was a third language for me,and my ADD. Now I have a song about why didn't, and by choice understand the questions. Awil Nation; "Sail".My grandchildren asked me for help ONCE! I just shook my head and crossed my eyes :confused:. They just laughed and never asked again.

·
Registered
16,935 Posts
In Algebra, the teacher would have me explain how to get the answer to the class. I was able to explain it so it would make sense to the class. I also found a couple mistakes in the book. The book had one answer which was correct but there was also another answer that was correct but book didn't have it.

·
Registered
16,935 Posts
It's been a while but I'm thinking about advertising in the local paper as a math tutor with all the virtual teaching going on, there's probably a lot of frustrated children and parents...No calculus though........

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
It's been a while but I'm thinking about advertising in the local paper as a math tutor with all the virtual teaching going on, there's probably a lot of frustrated children and parents...No calculus though........
Go for it. My daughter has been going to a math tutor this summer just to stay fresh and to get a head start on her math for the fall quarter. Geometry and pre-calculus. There is a demand.

·
Registered
16,935 Posts
Go for it. My daughter has been going to a math tutor this summer just to stay fresh and to get a head start on her math for the fall quarter. Geometry and pre-calculus. There is a demand.
May I ask you, what is the going rate?

·
Registered
203 Posts
We used the can method. Get a bunch of cans out of the cabinet and use them instead of numbers.. 15 cans -5 cans leaves you with 10. It gave them real world experience. Tried mm’s but for some reason we never had the right amount.

My son uses the new math in his job because he has to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts