Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In spite of the fun and relaxation I get when out on Lake Erie on my boat, there always seem to be a few inconsiderate people who don't care what effects their actions have on others. Case in point : Large pleasure boats (28 feet plus) who seem to have to run full speed through a pack of anchored perch boats. Also the perchers who, after they pull anchor, gun out through the pack at full throttle. Don't you people see a really huge lake without boats where you can go as fast as you want without disrupting peaceful perch fishermen? Aren't you the very same people who yell at someone coming past your boat and making a wake in the marinas? I know "consideration" is not covered in the boating rules handbook, but didn't your mothers teach you any better than that? You shouldn't need a rule book for how to be considerate of others.
I know I try to go out of my way to avoid disrupting other peoples enjoyment of our favorite pasttime. Maybe that's why it upsets me when others don't do the same.
I'm going to end my rant here before I tell you what I really think of you and this post gets pulled. Besides, I honestly feel that this post won't apply to any of the members on this forum or OHfishing. I just needed to vent. Thanks for reading this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 35ft that I fish off of and I never pull out of a pack of boats much above idle,when I clear the pack I will bring it up on plane. So all bigger boat owners are not alike, but I see it done a lot. I try to treat all boats[fishing] the way I would like to be treated. Dave owner of FRIENDSHIPII

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
F2D, I think you're singing to the choir here. Most of us fishermen know how to act on the big lake, it's the pleasure boaters (not many of whom frequent OGF) that need to hear the message. Those same pleasure boaters that roar by you in open water indeed will be the first to let you know you're throwing a wake, rocking their precious boats up against the dock.

Been there, know your frustration.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Its Been Goin On For Yrs..case N Point,i Have Boated Erie For About 30 Yrs Now And I See As Much Of It Today As I Did 30yrs Ago.....

·
respect our rivers please
2,669 Posts
Did anyone see the B.A.S.S. Classic on ESPN this weekend? One of the Pro anglers was getting to his spot, and supposidly created wake in an area where a property owner had his boat tied to his dock. He must have seen the Pro go past, because he proceded to get in his boat, find the pro on the water, and then began to buzz by him and pretty much ruin his spot of fishing. Not only that, but the pissed off land owner even pulled up to the Pro and gave him a tongue lashing. All of it was caught on film.

How about this weekend, when the sun came out on Saturday afternoon at West Branch, as did the pleasure boaters, and jet skiiers....I am not kidding when I say a jetski came within 10 ft of me, of which I was anchored for ummm...about 5 hours in that same spot.....now that got my blood to boil....and to make it worse, the ODNR boat seen it, and did nothing. Was about to break out the 4 oz sinker and do some different style of fishing...

I feel all your guys pain...

flash---------------------------------------out

·
Dreams DO come true!
1,945 Posts
I can completely understand your frustration regarding the "Power Boaters ( & skiiers)". Last night while Reel Man (Rob) and I were anchored about 15 feet from the dam at West Branch, this hyper little "Ski Nautique" boat that was pulling a wakeboarder INSISTED on FLYING past us at full throttle over and over again. BUT... here is the catch. The sun was barely clinging to the tree tops, and there were only a couple of boats out on the water at this time. Given the size of West Branch, why in the world would he choose to be so close to us??? (I'm talkin' 30') Was he trying to impress us with his superior wakeboarding skills????? (I think NOT!) Or perhaps he was trying to launch our two dogs into the water from his (selfish) wake?
Well, regardless of what his reason was for choosing to be so close to us, (when he had the entire lake pretty much to himself!),it has only proven to Rob and I that some people can be incredibly selfish, inconsiderate, and fail to see the result of their own actions because they are too absorbed in their own activity to be bothered or even care about anyone elses. :mad:

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've had this happen to me 3 times already this year.I'll be slowly trolling along and some jerk on a jet ski will cut in right behind me and either immediately cut off my line,or it will hook on to his pwc,and line will go sizzling off the reel.It's happened twice at Pleasant Hill,and once(so far) at Alum Creek.A couple weeks ago at P.Hill,some idiot used some kind of slingshot device off his ski boat and shot something right into the parking lot that hit the windshield on my truck.I was at the dock waiting for my girlfriend to bring the truck to the ramp.She was all pissed,and I started yelling at these punks who did it,of course,they just thought it was funny.We went and got the park ranger and informed him of it.He said he would talk to them when they came in! Like he couldn't get in his boat and go out and confront them.We waited in the parking lot until these punks came back in,and of course ranger Bob was nowhere to be found.I walked over to them and told them since the law obviously don't care about what they did,that if I ever see them pull crap like that again that involves me,I'll take care of it myself.If the DNR won't enforce the laws regarding these people,then whatever!

·
Registered
206 Posts
And these are the types of things that the brains (I use the word loosely) at the Division of Watercraft think the boaters on Hoover, OShay and Griggs should have to share in. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts